Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
nurlabys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

Just wanted to let everyone know that my new, fully featured all-grain homebrew application "Brew Pal" is available for free on the iTunes app store... it will run on both the iPhone and iPod Touch. This is a big update from Sparge Pal, my first app (Brew Pal does everything Sparge Pal does and a heckuva lot more!) Please see http://nurl.knowfear.net/iphone/brewpal for more info on the current version.

There are BIG changes coming that will address the most common complaints: lack of grain and hop data! The next version, which is under review by Apple now, will have predefined grains with points and lovibond (hence automatic SRM calculation) AND predefined hops, so you can see your estimated IBU.

Sparge Pal will always be free, but Brew Pal will be $0.99 starting next week.

Thanks to everyone here that bought Sparge Pal!

EDIT: I've subscribed to this thread, so I'll see any questions or comments you post here. Also, please feel free to contact me via the link on the Brew Pal website! Hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch, I just want to get the word out and make sure that everyone who bought Sparge Pal gets a shot at Brew Pal while it is free.

Last edited by nurlabys; 02-19-2009 at 05:25 PM.
chew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

what is the easiest way to figure the sparge section of brewpal to do a no mash out double batch sparge? Does it take into account the temp loss of a cooler mash tun?
Thanks
-Ben

Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
gregs765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This app is fantastic. I particularly love the timers. One question, though (which I also e-mailed from the website): What IBU formula does BrewPal use? I have ProMash set to Rager, and it told me I would have 31 IBU, but BrewPal said 25. I am not a super-detailed brewer, but I think this information would help me plan better. Thanks again for the nice work.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
nurlabys
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

bdavanza, sorry it took me so long to reply here! I didn't see any email notification for your post but I got one for gregs765

To answer your question, no, Brew Pal does not take into account the temp loss of the mash tun. I'm realizing that more and more users want complete control and I am rethinking how the "Settings" tab works so I may try to add that (as well as many other) new variables in the future. For now the interface is about as simple as I could make it. When I brew I throw a gallon of boiling water in the mash tun to preheat it.

Brew Pal probably won't tell you exactly how to do a no mash out double batch sparge, but you can use the infusion calculator to get an idea of what temperatures your infusions should be at assuming no heat loss, which you will have to compensate for.

Dave

Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
nurlabys
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

gregs765 I replied to your email, but I will post it here as well because it is a recurring question:

Brew Pal uses the Tinseth equation which will give different results than some other calculators. I am planning to add other selectable equations to the next version. I've heard from other brewers that Tinseth is the most accurate for full boils, and that other equations can give artificially high results. I have no way to directly measure IBUs and I am by no means a pro brewer and I love options as much as the next guy, so look for selectable IBU equations soon!

Thanks for the compliment, glad you like Brew Pal!

Dave

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 36

do either of these programs work for extract brewing?????

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
nurlabys
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

deepsouth,

I hope to submit the next version of Brew Pal (1.5) to the App store in the next couple of weeks. It includes the two most requested features: metric and extract support! Hopefully it will be available for download by early June at the latest.

Dave

Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurlabys View Post
deepsouth,

I hope to submit the next version of Brew Pal (1.5) to the App store in the next couple of weeks. It includes the two most requested features: metric and extract support! Hopefully it will be available for download by early June at the latest.

Dave
awesome dave! thanks.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
FisherDan
Recipes 

Great App Dave,
On the additions that were added to the last version. Is there any thought to allowing the user to add our own ingredients ?

thanks Dan

Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
Ysgard
Recipes 

Thanks, I really like this app. I've been horrible about notes/planning just because of the pain of keeping a notebook around. Sooo useful to have this with e-mail export.

Tasting notes (with timestamp, perhaps BJCP judging sheet?) would be a nice feature, or at least a misc/notes area.

Quick Reply