Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith works in Ubuntu!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 3,930
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BeerSmith works in Ubuntu!

Well, I know it's a windows program, but BeerSmith works great in Ubuntu Linux....all you need to do is install Wine. Wine, for those of you guys who don't use Linux is a program that allows you to run Windows-only programs on Linux. I'm pretty stoked, and it was an easy install:

1. Go to the System Menu -> Administration -> Click on Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click the search button, and type "wine" in the box and hit the Search button
3. Check the box next to "wine" (note: not wine-dev, or anything else)
4. Answer yes to all following questions
5. Allow the Wine installation to complete.
6. Download the BeerSmith program, and choose Wine as the program to open it with.
7. Allow the BeerSmith program to install
8. Run the BeerSmith program!

Now, there is a bit of configuration you can do with Wine to make it look nicer, but I was able to run BeerSmith without any messing with it. Cool!

__________________

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale


DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
KBrew75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Wow! I didn't even know wine still existed. Back when linux was relatively new I had to compile wine manually on slackware linux in order to use it. It could barely run solitaire!

I thought it was long dead. I usually run VMWare server in linux and load up windows xp if I want to run windows apps. Win4Lin is another virtual emulator but it's not free like VMWare server.

__________________
KBrew75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 3,545
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

wine has come a long ways. You can sometimes get 3d games to run on it.

z987k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southwest
Posts: 13,916
Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

I've never had a problem with BeerSmith under Wine. To overcome the no printing from Wine issue, export your recipes to HTML, then print from a web browser.

__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc
Yuri_Rage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 3,545
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I tried it under wine for a bit, and we really confused as how to build a recipe. Which is weird because more software is fairly intuitive to me. So I never bought it and stuck with qbrew, but it really needs the boil off rate and mash volume calculators, which beersmith has of coarse.

z987k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
imasickboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Landisville, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Promash also works under Wine.

__________________
imasickboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 309
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I've never had a problem with BeerSmith under Wine. To overcome the no printing from Wine issue, export your recipes to HTML, then print from a web browser.
Actually I was told that if you install IE under Wine, you can resolve the printing problem:
Wine Printing Thread

Cheers,
Brad
__________________
BeerSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
knipknup's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Posts: 886
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I just converted to Ubuntu from Vista and love it! I was very happy to see that beersmith works. This is the only windows application I have moved over to linux as it is the only important program I have. Thanks BeerSmith!

By the way, I have found, beersmith also works by copying it to a flashdrive. Plug it into any PC USB port and run the exe, you have your recipes, etc. Very handy when brewing with friends and taking a recipe with you.

__________________

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

knipknup is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Tankenator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Well, I know it's a windows program, but BeerSmith works great in Ubuntu Linux....all you need to do is install Wine. Wine, for those of you guys who don't use Linux is a program that allows you to run Windows-only programs on Linux. I'm pretty stoked, and it was an easy install:

1. Go to the System Menu -> Administration -> Click on Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click the search button, and type "wine" in the box and hit the Search button
3. Check the box next to "wine" (note: not wine-dev, or anything else)
4. Answer yes to all following questions
5. Allow the Wine installation to complete.
6. Download the BeerSmith program, and choose Wine as the program to open it with.
7. Allow the BeerSmith program to install
8. Run the BeerSmith program!

Now, there is a bit of configuration you can do with Wine to make it look nicer, but I was able to run BeerSmith without any messing with it. Cool!
Hell, i didnt even need to tell wine to open exe files, it just took off and ran it thanks a million
__________________

Primary: Basic Ale (not sure what style--my own recipie!!)

Tankenator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
TheFlatline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 428
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup View Post
I just converted to Ubuntu from Vista and love it! I was very happy to see that beersmith works. This is the only windows application I have moved over to linux as it is the only important program I have. Thanks BeerSmith!

By the way, I have found, beersmith also works by copying it to a flashdrive. Plug it into any PC USB port and run the exe, you have your recipes, etc. Very handy when brewing with friends and taking a recipe with you.
Makes sense the program runs from a flash drive, but it never occurred to me. How very cool. Going onto my ubiquitous flash drive right now.
__________________
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards...
TheFlatline is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu users? DonkeyShoes General Chit Chat 8 02-21-2009 05:58 PM
Time for a new laptop....Ubuntu maybe? Desert_Sky General Chit Chat 6 09-17-2008 03:09 PM
Thank god for Ubuntu (linux)!!!! Ó Flannagáin General Chit Chat 8 11-07-2007 10:15 AM
Ubuntu release z987k Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 8 10-19-2007 02:25 AM