Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > beersmith, why doesnt boil time change est. OG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
andyveedub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beersmith, why doesnt boil time change est. OG?

Do I have my beersmith configured incorrectly? Obviously a longer boil will yeild a higher gravity. When I change my boil time, the estimated OG stays the same. For some reason I thought it took boil time into account? Anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyveedub View Post
Do I have my beersmith configured incorrectly? Obviously a longer boil will yeild a higher gravity. When I change my boil time, the estimated OG stays the same. For some reason I thought it took boil time into account? Anyone?
Why would boiling longer create a higher OG? The amount of the sugars don't change.

The only way a longer boil would change anything is if you boil off more liquid in a longer boil. So, if you went from 7 gallons to 5 gallons in a boil usually, but in the next batch you went to 4.5 gallons, you'd have the same amount of sugars in there but less volume.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
andyveedub
Recipes 

I was under the impression that the water would boil off and leave more sugar behind leaving you with a higher gravity due to less water.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Beersmith only looks at your batch size for OG calcs. If you increase the boil time, it doesn't decrease the batch size, it increases the pre-boil volume.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your right a longer boil would mean more boil off, and therefore would mean a higher OG. Yes the sugars would be the same but the water would be less which = higher OG. But like NCbeernut said beersmith increases your pre boil volume to account for a longer boil.
It will up your amount of sparge water.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As NCBeernut says Beersmith does not adjust OG based on boil time. If you want to see the effect of a longer boil on your gravity you have to know your boil off rate and then manually change the amount of your batch size to your anticipated final volume.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At least on my beersmith, if you adjust the boil time (near the efficiency number at the top of your recipe) it will adjust the amount of wort you need to collect at the beginning of your boil. Lower the final batch size if your intent is to up OG via a longer boil.

-whoops, looks like NCBeernut already stated this above!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Yes
Since BeerSmith uses brewhouse efficiency (which represents all losses in the system in the efficiency number) and not mash efficiency as a basis, changing the losses in the brewing process won't change the OG number. The OG number is calculate from the grains added, volume into fermenter and overall brewhouse efficiency.

Here's an article on it.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26...-beer-brewing/

Cheers,
Brad

Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
BerserkerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what about colour

it seems that colour doesnt change either, and i can assure you that you boil for 90 you will get a darker beer.
and that is the case , unless i am wrong. also i pre carmelize part of my first runnings usally boil 2 gallons to one and then add rest of runnings. no option for that either. be interesting on colour issue.
my smash beers come out a lot daker that bs can say

Primaries
6 gallons blackberry brown ale/5 gallons blackerry/strawberry cider/6 galons old english stock ale//secondaries
3 gallons Cherry mead/5 gallons Cyser/1 gallon chille mead/1 gallon blackberry mead/Aging 2 x 11 gallon Show Mead

Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1236 Times on 998 Posts

Obviously, BS2 has a crap ton of problems - the whole efficiency thing, the apparent inability to handle unfermentable carbs, boil effects on gravity, etc, etc. I'm constantly fighting the damned thing and some days wonder if it's worth the aggravation...

Cheers!

Quick Reply