The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith: Where to put HLT dead space in equipment profile?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default BeerSmith: Where to put HLT dead space in equipment profile?

So I'm re-doing my equipment profile right now. I have a HERMS recirculating system that uses a copper coil in the hot liquor tank to recirculate the wort and keep it at it's desired temperature. When I transfer the wort to the boil kettle and then fly sparge with my HLT water, I have some of the water in the bottom of the HLT that doesn't get picked up by the pickup tube or is lost in the transfer tubes from the HLT to the mash tun. Question is, I don't see a place in the BeerSmith profile to enter in this loss of water. Should I just add it to the amount I put for the loss in the mash tun?

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just realized I don't think I can add it to my mash tun loss or it will thin out my mash. Guess ill probably just measure the loss in the HLT and add that much more water into the HLT knowing it will be left over after the kettle drains thus negating the water loss.

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply