The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith and water volumes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

But now you know, and future recipes you will breeze through. I had the same issue when I was learning beersmith. Now I love the program, but I dont batch sparge anymore so I'm learning it again(more)

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I cant get it to show a split or double sparge. Even when I reduce it to 50%. Which mash profile should I select?

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Single infusion medium body is what I normally used.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Single infusion medium body is what I normally used.
Do you just add 3 steps and label the last 2 "Sparge"? I have 3 steps in there now and I keep getting the error message. What about "Step Time" and "Rise Time" for the sparge?
Sorry to sound so dense.....

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

By all means try another software format. I guarantee you'll find issues that don't make sense, things that could work better, and bits you just don't trust.

But, it's still easier than napkins and a pencil.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Really? That's what it takes? What bull ****.

I think I should have bought Pro Mash...

Edit: 50% gave me 9 sparges, at 70%, I got 2.

What a bunch of crap.
Geez -- what's with the attitude man? What's so hard about that? If you think Pro Mash is going to be easier, download the demo and give it a shot. It doesn't even do batch sparges.

The recommended procedure for batch sparging is to do one batch sparge of equal volume to first runnings (one can add mashout water to equalize the volumes). That's what Beersmith assumes one would want to do.

Some people (especially here at HBT) feel they get significantly better efficiency by draining the tun and doing multiple sparges. Fine -- Beersmith can do this if you follow the simple advice above. You can even save that profile for later, so you don't have to type it in again. Very handy. Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Geez -- what's with the attitude man? What's so hard about that? If you think Pro Mash is going to be easier, download the demo and give it a shot. It doesn't even do batch sparges.

The recommended procedure for batch sparging is to do one batch sparge of equal volume to first runnings (one can add mashout water to equalize the volumes). That's what Beersmith assumes one would want to do.

Some people (especially here at HBT) feel they get significantly better efficiency by draining the tun and doing multiple sparges. Fine -- Beersmith can do this if you follow the simple advice above. You can even save that profile for later, so you don't have to type it in again. Very handy. Not sure why this is so difficult for you.
Simple. Because you can't just select what you want and get it, without having to lie to it, and trial and error, to get the desired result. Yeah, it was easy to create the desired double sparge, after Beerthirty told me, but nowhere in the help does it tell you that you have to play games with it until you get what you want. And what logic is there in setting MLT volume to 100% and getting only 1 sparge when you asked for equal volume sparges (insinuating multiple) but you only get the double sparge after setting it back to 70% in this case? Why is that hard to understand, or program?

I have been to the BS Forum and spent a lot of time looking for stuff before I posted. That's why the attitude.

I downloaded both Pro Mash and BS and everyone said Beersmith is way easier and that's the way to go. I will be buying Promash.

Beersmith key for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Best of luck with ProMash. I used it before Beersmith and ditched it because setting up batch sparge schedules were too difficult.

The logic behind multiple batch sparges is that you should only need to do them if your mash tun can't hold the full sparge volume (e.g., high gravity brew with a lot of grain the nearly fills the tun). In Beersmith, you can use the % value to determine how full you want to go in the tun before having the software automatically calculate an additional sparge addition. Nothing complicated there.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

You know, I've been seeing several posters here at HBT lately acting very upset about BeerSmith, and how it handles certain functions. I've even complained about one particular setting in the program.

HOWEVER, after I requested on the forum, I've seen Brad post here at HBT that he is (1) rewriting the code for a more portable platform and (2) adding in many people's requested tweaks, including the tweak I asked for.

Is BeerSmith perfect? Nope, but acting angry and put-out that the writer didn't read your mind to know exactly what you want to do and anticipate every tiny detail of your process won't help. Learn to use the tools, and your software will reward you. This goes for Beersmith, ProMash, BTP, or any other brewing software.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Simple. Because you can't just select what you want and get it, without having to lie to it, and trial and error, to get the desired result. Yeah, it was easy to create the desired double sparge, after Beerthirty told me, but nowhere in the help does it tell you that you have to play games with it until you get what you want. And what logic is there in setting MLT volume to 100% and getting only 1 sparge when you asked for equal volume sparges (insinuating multiple) but you only get the double sparge after setting it back to 70% in this case? Why is that hard to understand, or program?

I have been to the BS Forum and spent a lot of time looking for stuff before I posted. That's why the attitude.

I downloaded both Pro Mash and BS and everyone said Beersmith is way easier and that's the way to go. I will be buying Promash.

Beersmith key for sale.
You are doing 2 sparges. You add a small amount of water to your mash and do 1 sparge, then add a larger amount of water and perform a second sparge. Both sparges should be equal. I admit that have an option for doing multiple sparges might be nice, however the tool is trying to optimize your time and effort based on your equipment. If you are using a smaller mashtun or doing a large beer in a modest mashtun you may have to do more sparges. For a lower gravity beer in a large mashtun you only need 2 sparges. By playing with the %MLT used you are trying to trick the program into doing what you want.

I find Beersmith to be a fairly easy and usually intuitive program to use. There are very few things I have wanted to do that took me more than a few minutes to figure out how to accomplish. Before I bough Beersmith I tried Promash but had trouble with doing basic things. I probably should have given it more time but Beersmith seem much more intuitive to me at the time.

In fact I have found most larger software programs to have many more "issues". When I write documents for my engineering work, I am pretty sure I spend more time trying to figure out MS Word than I do typing. At that is alot easier than the software I use for my work.

Craig

Quick Reply