Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith vs. iBrewmaster on iMac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
baseballstar4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith vs. iBrewmaster on iMac

I'm currently running on an iMac and have seen things written about both programs and can't decide which to get. Is there anything that would make you use one over the other? I am just moving into all grain brewing. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm running Beersmith on my Mac; works fine. Most of the folks I know use Beersmith and I like the fact that we can send files back/forth to Windows (which most other people use)

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
MikeMetroka
Recipes 

Download the trial version of BeerSmith and while your at it download Beer Alchemy. iBrewmaster does not have a trial that I am aware of.
IMO
BeerSmith is the most comprehensive but the UI is a bit busy.
Beer Alchemy is almost as comprehensive but is nicer to work in.
iBrewmaster for iPad is pleasant to work in but does not have as many features.
I got iB as a gift and am using it exclusively.
It came preloaded with more recipes than I will ever brew. Recipe formulation is probably the most common feature to all software. I like the schedule that is automatically set when you start a new batch for racking and kegging etc.
Definitely download the trials, you'll see what works best.
Mike

Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
redgum
Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've tried both BeerSmith and iBrewmaster on Mac OS and I ended up staying with Beer Alchemy (which is still quite a nice app despite lacking features).

iBrewmaster is hopelessly buggy at them moment. If it gets fixed in the future, then maybe OK but as of 1.0.8, its not worth the money.

BeerSmith is very comprehensive but I just couldn't live with the interface. As a Mac user, you get used to that look and feel. BeerSmith has none of it. Yes, it works on Mac OS X but it's like trying to do a full boil on an electric stove top...

Mind you, Beer Alchemy is like that at times

I've been using Beer Alchemy so that's probably the main reason for staying with it. If I were a new user, maybe go BeerSmith as it's far more comprehensive at the moment. The next release of Beery Alchemy looks very promising though.

Like Mike said though, download the trials.

Cheers
Simon

Quick Reply