Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
jdlev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Beersmith Reviews

Any opinions on beersmith or other software for home brewing? Watched a short video on beersmith...looks nice, but I'm not sure it offers much more than simply keeping good notes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
MrBungle
Recipes 

I've been messing around with BeerTools Pro and it's very thorough.

Currently Fermenting - Black IPA

Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Well, the big thing that Beersmith does is helps to formulate recipes by calculating things like expected gravities (figuring in your own efficiency) and IBUs and color. It also has calculators for things like the amount of strike water you need, temperatures, batch sparging information - basically, any calculation you might need done, it can do. It's a calculator that also works as a note pad.

It's a great tool, it's stuff that you could theoretically calculate yourself but it's a lot easier to use a tool like BeerSmith to handle the math.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It's a glorified spreadsheet with a simplified means of organizing recipe files. What else do you need?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love beersmith. I use it for every brew day. Not only can I keep good notes I can estimate my color, IBUs, etc. Make adjustments to target what I want. I can also get a target gravity to see what my efficiency is. And while some people may claim no benefit in keeping track of efficiency, I do so to see how I can improve my process from batch to batch. I also can calculate ABV and calories, equipment, target mash temps, and strike water calculated pretty accurately. Sparge amounts etc.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Beersmith is great. I don't know what you're looking for in a software. But it allows you to create recipes quickly and easily. Once you set it up to match your brew system it helps fit everything into prarameters for your system. It allows you quickly to know if your recipe is in whatever style you are aiming for. It allows you to easily shift one paramter (like IBUs, or batch size, or gravity) and automatically shifts the recipe to reflect that. For example I'm putting together a recipe that I want to have 35 ibus. And I change the grainbill a bit tweaking the recipe, rather than having to re-calculate the ibus, you can click a button, then tell it what your target ibus you are aiming for, and it will calculate it for you)

Basically it has a ton of great built in features, has a great library of ingredients already in it, and is not difficult to use.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
jdlev
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Beersmith is great. I don't know what you're looking for in a software. But it allows you to create recipes quickly and easily. Once you set it up to match your brew system it helps fit everything into prarameters for your system. It allows you quickly to know if your recipe is in whatever style you are aiming for. It allows you to easily shift one paramter (like IBUs, or batch size, or gravity) and automatically shifts the recipe to reflect that. For example I'm putting together a recipe that I want to have 35 ibus. And I change the grainbill a bit tweaking the recipe, rather than having to re-calculate the ibus, you can click a button, then tell it what your target ibus you are aiming for, and it will calculate it for you)

Basically it has a ton of great built in features, has a great library of ingredients already in it, and is not difficult to use.
How accurate do you think it is for tweaking recipes?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
I win awards for my beers.....so I guess it's accurate enough for my purposes and the judges..... *shrug*

I really don't have a better answer. My beers turn out. That's really all that matters.

I suck at math....it give me numbers, when I mash/boil/wahtever and take a grav reading it matches...that's good enough for me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
It's only as accurate as what you put into it.

If you don;t perform some due diligence to research the numbers on a grain and hop or haven't recorded average brew system parameters it will result in calculated junk.

But, if you take a reasonable amount of time to quantify some system parameters and check the numbers on your ingredients it become very accurate. At least as accurate as doing it long hand on a napkin.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
evilhomer
Recipes 

Beersmith has a free demo, try it out. I'm trying it and I think its awesome, will probably buy it soon.

Quick Reply