Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith recipe version question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BeerSmith recipe version question

I just started using BeerSmith and I like it fine. This is more a question about how you use it. I like to take a recipe and make changes the next time I brew it and the time after that and so on. Do you just change your existing recipe or do you add a new version of the same recipe each time so you can see the changes that have been made?
I am a little goofy about record keeping and I can see me having numerous versions of the same recipe.

Just curious.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 915 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.
That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.
I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?
When you change the revision number of a recipe, and allow it to save under another name (when you hit the 'ok' button) you'll see another recipe listed with the rev number after it (like 1.1)...

Personally, I number the recipe by which batch it is. So if I'm brewing an earlier brew again, it gets a new leading number. To get this, I simply copy/paste the recipe from the 'brewed' directory to the 'on deck' directory in BeerSmith and renumber/rename it. Very easy there.

Do what you need to help your record keeping. If you're working out a recipe and have a few different versions you're thinking about brewing, then the rev number option makes a lot of sense. Once you've brewed it, and are looking to brew it again with some tweaks, I'd have a new recipe entry for it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old Today, 02:15 AM   #6
NoDoubtAddMoreHops
Recipes 

Wow, old thread but relevant regardless.

I can't believe they haven't found a better way to do this. Usually I'll just copy a recipe and give it a new name. And every brew I do gets moved to the brew log. Seems like it would make more sense to have "recipes" and brew sessions as completely separate entities rather than the same items under different, ambiguous folders. I'm just glad I found the "copy to brew log" option the first time I used it.

Updated 8/27/2014
On Deck: Belgian Duvel Clone, Gewürztraminer, Cyser, Double IPA, Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest (8/23), Sweet Mead (6/15)
Secondary:
Kegged: American Pale Ale (Nelson/Amarillo)

Quick Reply