Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith recipe version question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BeerSmith recipe version question

I just started using BeerSmith and I like it fine. This is more a question about how you use it. I like to take a recipe and make changes the next time I brew it and the time after that and so on. Do you just change your existing recipe or do you add a new version of the same recipe each time so you can see the changes that have been made?
I am a little goofy about record keeping and I can see me having numerous versions of the same recipe.

Just curious.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Hi Tony, what I do is when I brew a batch, I save that recipe to the 'brew log'. The recipe is still in the recipes, and I can adjust it or change it there for the next time. But its also in the brew log, which I never change, its the record of what exactly I brewed.
That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
That's cool. I didn't see the "Copy to Brew Log" button.

Thanks.
I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
I still can't see a "copy to brew log" button. I also can find no documentation in the Beersmith help section for what the "Version" up/down buttons in a recipe do. It allows you to click up and down (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.). Does this save a new version if I click save after changing the recipe version number? Do I still have a copy of the previous version?
When you change the revision number of a recipe, and allow it to save under another name (when you hit the 'ok' button) you'll see another recipe listed with the rev number after it (like 1.1)...

Personally, I number the recipe by which batch it is. So if I'm brewing an earlier brew again, it gets a new leading number. To get this, I simply copy/paste the recipe from the 'brewed' directory to the 'on deck' directory in BeerSmith and renumber/rename it. Very easy there.

Do what you need to help your record keeping. If you're working out a recipe and have a few different versions you're thinking about brewing, then the rev number option makes a lot of sense. Once you've brewed it, and are looking to brew it again with some tweaks, I'd have a new recipe entry for it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply