Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #21
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

First, worry less - you're gonna have good beer in the end. You're tongue and brain won't know the difference between 5.1% and 5.5% ABV - the brain likes it regardless :P

I believe you're not hitting your numbers on paper because your efficiency is set lower than most recipes are posted. Most folks post recipes using an efficiency range of 70-75% and you're using 68% for your system.

In addition, White Labs English Ale yeast has a lower attenuation than average. Therefore, when you create a recipe without yeast you will be seeing an FG and ABV estimate that will fluctuate based on the yeast you finally choose. Since you chose a yeast that attenuates less than average then the ABV goes down and the FG goes up. If, on the other hand, you chose a saison yeast you would see the exact opposite (I'm not suggesting you should, just using it as an example).

Regardless of all of this mumbojumbo, adjust your recipe to fit YOUR system so that what you see on paper is close enough to good. The chances of you hitting all of your numbers PERFECTLY on brewday is unlikely anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #22
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Bugger View Post
You bought your yeast in the future?

What ABV are you getting? What do you want to get?
Na, white labs lists the date on the yeast, which is 4 months after packing... So, Jan 27 2013.

I am looking to hit 5.2, but beersmith drops me down to 4.8 when I use the yeast option. Not a big difference, but its bugging me why, and I want to figure out how to correct this.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #23
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
First, worry less - you're gonna have good beer in the end. You're tongue and brain won't know the difference between 5.1% and 5.5% ABV - the brain likes it regardless :P

I believe you're not hitting your numbers on paper because your efficiency is set lower than most recipes are posted. Most folks post recipes using an efficiency range of 70-75% and you're using 68% for your system.

In addition, White Labs English Ale yeast has a lower attenuation than average. Therefore, when you create a recipe without yeast you will be seeing an FG and ABV estimate that will fluctuate based on the yeast you finally choose. Since you chose a yeast that attenuates less than average then the ABV goes down and the FG goes up. If, on the other hand, you chose a saison yeast you would see the exact opposite (I'm not suggesting you should, just using it as an example).

Regardless of all of this mumbojumbo, adjust your recipe to fit YOUR system so that what you see on paper is close enough to good. The chances of you hitting all of your numbers PERFECTLY on brewday is unlikely anyway.
Thank you! So, would you suggest that I raise my OG in beersmith to compensate for the low attenuation? The brewer at Deschutes claims its critical to get the beer on the drier side, so thats why I am really wanting the ABV, just because it lowers my FG and dries out the beer a bit more.

But, If I am following this correctly, this wont happen if I adjust my grain bill and raise my OG. This may cause me to hit a higher FG, since the yeast cannot attenuate beyond a certain threshold?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #24
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Perhaps I missed it, but I've yet to see where you've shared your planned mash temp and expected FG. Without modifying ingredients, raising the OG is not going to increase attenuation, only mashing at a lower temp will do that. Basically, with Beersmith you set your OG where you want it, then tweak your mash temp as needed to get your FG where it should be. Play around with lower mash temps and you'll see that FG will decrease and ABV will increase.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #25
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I've yet to see where you've shared your planned mash temp and expected FG. Without modifying ingredients, raising the OG is not going to increase attenuation, only mashing at a lower temp will do that. Basically, with Beersmith you set your OG where you want it, then tweak your mash temp as needed to get your FG where it should be. Play around with lower mash temps and you'll see that FG will decrease and ABV will increase.
Good info, sorry I forgot to leave that:

So, they suggest ( Deschutes) to mash between 149-152. So, I set mine at 150. Recommended FG is between 1013-1015. Beersmith is putting me at 1016. Maybe I should lower my mash temp to 149?

How seriously should I be taking beersmiths input on my yeast?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #26
arborman
Recipes 

Ah, so great catch there! I had my mash set at 152... I adjusted it to 149, and it brought me up to 5% abv, tho I am still shooting for 5.2.

But, this was what I was wanting to understand, and you helped me figure out what was going on. Thanks guys! Man, the more I think I know, the less I really do know.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #27
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've found that Beersmith's numbers are fairly close, but I wouldn't sweat it if it's off by a couple points here and there. Yes, try lowering it to 149 and I bet FG drops by at least a point.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #28
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I've found that Beersmith's numbers are fairly close, but I wouldn't sweat it if it's off by a couple points here and there. Yes, try lowering it to 149 and I bet FG drops by at least a point.

Yep, it did... It brought it up to 5% from 4.8.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #29
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When I add the WLP001 it increases the ABV by a 0.3%. Keep in mind Beersmith or any other calculator is just an estimate.

Not sure why yours is decreasing the ABV.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #30
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

WLP001 is a higher attenuator than WLP013. When he first entered his recipe, he had not specified a yeast, so BS went with a default attenuation. When he specified his yeast on the starter tab, BS automatically added his yeast to the recipe. His yeast, WLP013 is a lower attenuator than the default that BS was using, so his FG went up and his ABV went down. If he were to sub WLP001 for 013, it attenuates better, so FG will go down and AVB will go up.

Quick Reply