Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith question (about one of the included recipes)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
I'm not talking to you any more!
It's all good

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
RhoadsRunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey Guys,

Looks like I'm a little late getting to this party, but I have had a related, yet totally different problem with this recipe. [[aside: I just downloaded the free trial of BeerSmith today - as it seems some of you had a while back. I had to adjust some of the weights of the ingredients b/c my local brew store doesn't carry some of the SRMs the Rx called for...I was SUPER impressed with how easy it was to make those adjustments.]]

Anyway, I was merrily following the recipe until I realized that in the step-by-step print out, it called to add the oatmeal for 0 mins during the boil (i.e. at the very end)...Is this correct? I would think you'd be worried about contamination adding it at the end and not boiling for very long (if at all). I would also think that the oats sitting on the yeast in the fermenter could do some weird things. I noticed this with about 12 minutes to go on my boil (using the BeerSmith extract recipe it seems some of you ran across). I looked up other oatmeal stouts and 100% of them add the oatmeal while steeping the grains in the mash. Whoops!

What to do you ask? Well, I relaxed, didn't worry and had a homebrew, obviously. And then just ran with it...I dumped the pound of oatmeal in there as the timer dinged, let it continue to boil while I stirred it in, and added the whole lot to the fermenter. Ha!

Guess I'll plan on filtering them out when I rack it? Meaning that they'll sit for about 4 days on the primary. Any other suggestions?

Hope it turns out...this is an Xmas gift for my brother - who won't be the wiser until about New Years if it's gone south.

WjR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply