New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith question (about one of the included recipes)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
HibsMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default BeerSmith question (about one of the included recipes)

Just downloaded BeerSmith 2 today and have been poking around. I looked at one of the two extract recipes they provide - the Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout - and in the instructions it has a Mash Style. This is an extract recipe, I won't be mashing anything. I can't remove it or set it to No Mash because that's not an option. It was set to My Mash but when I was looking around I accidentally must have set it to something else. I can't reset it to My Mash because that's not an option in the drop down. I guess I could just ignore it but I prefer a cleaner look i.e., all the information I do need and none of the information that I don't need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
city
Recipes 

i have beer smith also, well just downloaded today . thats how that recipe comes from what i can see , i haven't change anything on mine

Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would have thought that the interface would have hidden the MASH drop down rather than just gray it out, but I think it's safe to say that for an extract brew we know we're not mashing so we can just ignore it.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
city
Recipes 

yup

Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
step
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
Just downloaded BeerSmith 2 today and have been poking around. I looked at one of the two extract recipes they provide - the Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout - and in the instructions it has a Mash Style. This is an extract recipe, I won't be mashing anything. I can't remove it or set it to No Mash because that's not an option. It was set to My Mash but when I was looking around I accidentally must have set it to something else. I can't reset it to My Mash because that's not an option in the drop down. I guess I could just ignore it but I prefer a cleaner look i.e., all the information I do need and none of the information that I don't need.
I guess I don't understand the problem... this is an extract w/ steeping grains recipe, right? I am not sure what your concern about mashing is... steep the specialty grains at 155 degrees F for 20-30 mins-ish and go for it.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post
I guess I don't understand the problem... this is an extract w/ steeping grains recipe, right? I am not sure what your concern about mashing is... steep the specialty grains at 155 degrees F for 20-30 mins-ish and go for it.
My concern is with the application showing me a MASH stage when this is an extract recipe. Why is it even in the interface? I don't have a problem per se, I know that I don't need to mash anything, I just don't know why that option is even there. I guess I like a cleaner interface where the only controls visible are those that you can actually use.

Cheers, Max

Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would dont try to over think it. If it's telling your mash schedule it just when you add the grains or extract. I have been using beersmith for awhile now. I have no issues understanding the process between extract and all grain batches on BS.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should say that I work in software quality assurance so it's my nature to be picky about how software works. To be clear, I was never under the impression that I needed to mash. I wasn't confused about the actual process. I was just curious as to why the application includes information in a recipes that is clearly not required. I'm just nit-picking (while also making sure that I am using the software correctly).

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Isn't when you add barley to water mash? Think of extract as the hard work done for you because extract is or was malted barley and they had to mash the grains to get the extract. So in some degree beersmith is right I guess. lol please dont take this to heart.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
Isn't when you add barley to water mash? Think of extract as the hard work done for you because extract is or was malted barley and they had to mash the grains to get the extract. So in some degree beersmith is right I guess. lol please dont take this to heart.
I'm not talking to you any more!

Quick Reply