jbhistory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Beersmith question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding Beersmith 2.0. I am building my first all grain recipe. The problem I am having is choosing my equipment. I am using a 10 gallon cooler as a mash tun and a 10 gallon brew pot. I am turning out 5 gallon batches. But this is not an option under equipment. I can choose 10 gallon cooler with 15 gallon brew pot or 5 gallon cooler with 7-9 gallon brew pot. Both cause my mash calculations to be completely different.

My second question is:
If I use the set up for 5 gallon cooler and 7-9 gallon brew pot it comes back saying I need to add 21.56 (5.39 gallons) and then fly Sparge 3.45 gallons. That leaves me with a grand total of 8.84 gallons.... its based on a 5 gallon batch. Granted it's a 90 minute boils but am I really going to lose 3.84 gallons in boiling or did I screw my numbers up somewhere?

Thanks for helping this noob out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
planecrazy29
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You can set up your own equipment profile or edit what is there to match your equipment. Click on the "Profiles" tab and select "Equipment". From there either select add equipment or double-click the profile you want to edit. Easy peasy!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Make a new equipment profile in the equipment section and the grain will hold a lot of that liquid, it won't all come out, and the dead space volumes add to it as well, you might want to knock those down for the kettle and mash tun.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also there are places to put deadspace (i.e. water left in the bottom of the cooler after you drain it). Check them against your equipment. Between 1-1.5 gallons of boil off, a few quarts to grain absorption, and gallon + to dead space and you are in the right neighborhood

Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
SleepyCreekBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhistory View Post
Hello all,

My second question is:
If I use the set up for 5 gallon cooler and 7-9 gallon brew pot it comes back saying I need to add 21.56 (5.39 gallons) and then fly Sparge 3.45 gallons. That leaves me with a grand total of 8.84 gallons.... its based on a 5 gallon batch. Granted it's a 90 minute boils but am I really going to lose 3.84 gallons in boiling or did I screw my numbers up somewhere?

Thanks for helping this noob out!
You'll lose 1.x gallons from the boil, but you'll also lose volume from grain absorption ...something like .1-.125 gallons/pound of grain. Subtract some additional liquid from dead space in the mash tun, and you should end up with 6-6.5 gals to boil.
Hope that helps

Sleepy Creek Brewery, Leesville, NC
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy-Creek-Brewery/363413120412743?ref=stream

Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
sherma
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should create an equipment profile for your specific equipment.

You're best off checking the boil off for your pot by boiling a measured amount of water for an hour, then checking the volume when the boil is done and cooled down. You're going to lose somewhere around 0.5 gallons to trub/cold break while chilling, so you can figure out, based on your boil off amount, the pre-boil volume you need to shoot for in order to end up with 5.5 gallons post boil.

Boil off is a constant, so in your boil off test it doesn't matter if you boil 6 gallons or 3 gallons, just put the amount of boil off in the appropriate field in the equipment profile.

Once you've got the pre-boil volume set in your equipment profile, your mash water and sparge water volumes will adjust to get you to that volume.

primary: CDA #2
primary: Evil Twin Red
primary: Mosaic Single Hop Pale
Bottled: Oddsides Citra Pale clone, India Cream Ale, CDA #1, Cascadian Dubbel
On deck: Surly Abrasive clone, Yooper's Pale Ale

Quick Reply