The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
beecha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith question

Ok so today I brewed a wheat recipe that I cooked up for my first ever crack at a personal recipe. I am a partial masher with a 2 gallon coleman cooler mash tun. (works well for about 3 to 4 pounds of grain and a partial boil) I have my equipment set up at with 2 gallons MLT with 0.07 gallons (measured) dead space. My kettle 5 gallon aluminum brew pot with 10% evap rate and .26 gallons lost to trub. I brewed a batch prior to this one and hit the O.G. pretty spot on but this wheat beer I missed the estimated 1.044 by 1.039 O.G. I measured the gravity after sparge (before extract addition) and after extract addition pre-boil and it was spot on the estimated gravity into the boiler. I set the top off into the fermenter at 2.5 gallons expecting to get 2.5 gallons of wort post boil. I ended up having to top up with 3 gallons meaning i evaporated off more than expected? is this the reason I missed the O.G.? I am trying to figure out what value to tweak in order to get a good estimate since there are so many to change. the ideal thing would be to change one at a time correct? I think beer smith is great but its got a steep learning curve, and sorry for the long post just trying to post as much info as possible.

Thanks Guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
beecha
Recipes 

bump hoping some smart people will read this post and maybe offer some insight, or maybe ask me about some piece of information I may have missed. I am also aware that this could possibly be a user error measurement wise!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
centralpabrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been using beersmith for over a year, and sometimes I have this same problem. Evaporation rate has a lot of variables, ie..relative humidity, diameter of your kettle, etc. I have my evaporation rate set at 15% for a 10gal 16in diameter SS kettle. Sometimes I come out ok, sometimes I need to top up the fermenter. I've learned to live with it.

Quick Reply