New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith priming sugar calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beersmith priming sugar calculator

I'd like to be able to enter a new batch volume for the priming sugar calculation. The volume at pitching is what I consider the "batch size" but the volume changes by the time I rack into the secondary and rack into the bottling bucket. This throws off the volumes of CO2. I don't like changing the original batch size because it throws off the estimated gravities.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

just adjust the batch volume to get your priming sugar needs, than adjust your carb vols to the amount of sugar that you put in that way you will know the amount of sugar needed to carb that recipe

that is what I do with my brews

Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto1977 View Post
just adjust the batch volume to get your priming sugar needs, than adjust your carb vols to the amount of sugar that you put in that way you will know the amount of sugar needed to carb that recipe

that is what I do with my brews
Quote:
...I don't like changing the original batch size because it throws off the estimated gravities.
I like having everything in the recipe correct, and I don't always do exactly 5 gallon batches either. That way when I come back months later I'm not scratching my head about if that was my actual batch size or what OG I was originally shooting for.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 07-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can always leave information about your batch sizes / og estimates in the notes. I don't know how to help you with your problem, but the beersmith guys always respond in their forums.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Doesn't beersmith have standalone tools you can access in the program to calculate those things (without going through the recipe)? I know in promash it has a CO2 calculator (amongst others) that you just input the amount of beer being primed and the temps and volumes you want and it will spit out amounts for you.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

I use the calculator under the tools menu and stick the sugar I add into the notes section, but I agree with your point; it'd be nice if I could independently change the final batch size that's going to go into the bottling bucket for the carbonation calculator that's built into the recipe.

Rick

Quick Reply