Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith Mash Tun Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Default BeerSmith Mash Tun Weight

Hello,

Trying to setup my equipment profile and had a couple questions. Does the mash tun weight include all the ball valves, couplings, etc... that are attached to the keg? If not, I was wondering if anyone new how much a 15.5 gal Budweiser sankey keg that is setup for bottom draining weighs. Wasn't sure if I should just use the 20lbs that is in the "Stainless Kegs" equipment profile.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I believe Beersmith asks for mash tun weight so it can do some calculations on heat loss. If your mash tun weighs more, then it has more insulation. This is entirely dependent on the materials of your mash tun, of course.

Ergo, you should probably leave out the extra stuff, since the valves and what-not aren't going to help with the heat retention.

I never bothered to do any of this and just tested my system for heat loss. I learned that if I don't pre-heat the mash tun then I lose about 17 degrees from right before I start draining the HLT to the time I'm ready to close the lid of my MLT for the beginning of the mash rest. If I do pre-heat the mash tun, then I lose about 15 degrees.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1115 Times on 905 Posts

Pretty sure Beersmith is using the mash tun weight to calculate strike water temperature, meaning anything that comes in contact with strike water and will absorb some of its heat should be included. Thus I would include valves, FBs/manifolds/mesh tubes, etc - anything that will make contact with the mash...

Cheers!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Two conflicting answers, anyone one else?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Install a RIMs system and don't worry about it

Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Weight + material = thermal mass and is used in beer smith to calculate temperature targets.

I too would include all metal connected to the keg that would increase the thermal mass.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Magic8Ball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Two conflicting answers, anyone one else?
You want the total weight. BS is looking at total mash and the MT specific heat to determine strike and sparge water temps. You may need to tweak these if you find that your actual measured mash temps come in low or high.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
Install a RIMs system and don't worry about it
This brings up a good point, my system is a HERMs system, so is the "Mash Tun Weight" still just the weight of the MLT?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So if I strap a 50 pound steel bar inside my mash tun, I should include that too?

Yeah, no. Beersmith is trying to figure out how much heat you're going to lose, and it's doing that by a) asking what your mash tun is made of and b) how much it weighs. Including various extra parts is not going to help the already inadequate equation.

From Beersmith's website:

Mash Tun Weight - Enter the weight of your mash tun (excluding extra equipment/tubes/etc) This parameter is used to calculate the thermal mass of your mash tun when adjusting mash temperatures for your equipment.

But seriously...you really should just do a test of your own and see how many degrees you lose. Don't trust Beersmith for this one, because there's a number of factors that can't be accounted for in the equation.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
So if I strap a 50 pound steel bar inside my mash tun, I should include that too?

Yeah, no. Beersmith is trying to figure out how much heat you're going to lose, and it's doing that by a) asking what your mash tun is made of and b) how much it weighs. Including various extra parts is not going to help the already inadequate equation.

From Beersmith's website:

Mash Tun Weight - Enter the weight of your mash tun (excluding extra equipment/tubes/etc) This parameter is used to calculate the thermal mass of your mash tun when adjusting mash temperatures for your equipment.

But seriously...you really should just do a test of your own and see how many degrees you lose. Don't trust Beersmith for this one, because there's a number of factors that can't be accounted for in the equation.
Thanks for that info, I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldn't find it again.

Also while on the topic of MLT, for the "Mash Tun Volume", I'm assuming this is the exact amount that your MLT can hold?* So even though my MLT is a 15.5 gal budweiser keg that is setup for bottom draining, I should enter 14 gal, since this is the amount of water it can hold without over flowing.

Quick Reply