The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith and it's crazy sparge temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default BeerSmith and it's crazy sparge temps

I've done 2 ag batches and both times i've done a split sparge (2 equal amounts) and both times the first sparge only raised the grain temp to a little over 150f (with an ending mash temp of 153) that's with sparge water approaching 175f. Why does beersmith always you to use 168f water? Is there an adjustment im missing? Should I raise my initial sparge to 180-185? Im confused.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450
I've done 2 ag batches and both times i've done a split sparge (2 equal amounts) and both times the first sparge only raised the grain temp to a little over 150f (with an ending mash temp of 153) that's with sparge water approaching 175f. Why does beersmith always you to use 168f water? Is there an adjustment im missing? Should I raise my initial sparge to 180-185? Im confused.
When you split your sparge water, are you pouring it into a bucket and then into the MLT? You can lose some heat in the transference. I've been heating my water to 180F lately to account for heat loss. I've been getting striking (from the bucket, not pot) with 175F-176F and that leaves my grains at about 165F. I agree that Beersmith doesn't calculate the water temp high enough, but you may be losing heat elsewhere...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Last edited by Soulive; 03-03-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Should I raise my initial sparge to 180-185?
Yes, you could do this.

Or you could try mashing-out with a small quantity (like 1 gallon) of boiling water before you drain the first runnings. Then the 168º sparge water will do better for you. This is what I normally do and I like my results.

You can also use the infusion temperature calculator to figure out the exact temperature & quantity of water needed to raise the mash from your rest temp to sparge temp.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Interesting idea that I've never even given a second thought to. I also do equal sparges and have just always heated sparge water to 170F.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
When you split your sparge water, are you pouring it into a bucket and then into the MLT? You can lose some heat in the transference. I've been heating my water to 180F lately to account for heat loss. I've been getting striking (from the bucket, not pot) with 175F-176F and that leaves my grains at about 165F. I agree that Beersmith doesn't calculate the water temp high enough, but you may be losing heat elsewhere...
Yes I do split the water, but I never thought you could lose that much heat, it only takes 30 seconds or so.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Yes I do split the water, but I never thought you could lose that much heat, it only takes 30 seconds or so.
You can and I do. Just jumping from the pot to the bucket to the MLT, I lose at least 5 degrees...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
Yes, you could do this.

Or you could try mashing-out with a small quantity (like 1 gallon) of boiling water before you drain the first runnings. Then the 168º sparge water will do better for you. This is what I normally do and I like my results.

You can also use the infusion temperature calculator to figure out the exact temperature & quantity of water needed to raise the mash from your rest temp to sparge temp.
I may try this in the future, but im only working with one burner and 2 pot's (ones my brew kettle), and this would further complicate things. I suppose I could run my lazy butt to the kitchen and boil there.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Interesting idea that I've never even given a second thought to. I also do equal sparges and have just always heated sparge water to 170F.
Check your grain temps, you may be disappointed. Btw, I brewed your EF clone this weekend, and it went really well, it smelled awesome.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

also the sparge calcs in bs are designed for a single sparge so when u split it the mass/temp ratio changes, ie your adding less overall heat to the mash and it can't raise it to desired temps

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus
also the sparge calcs in bs are designed for a single sparge so when u split it the mass/temp ratio changes, ie your adding less overall heat to the mash and it can't raise it to desired temps
I wonder why that is , because it has ability to split the sparges, it seems that it could adjust the temps also.

Quick Reply