Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith - Issue with Sparge volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If the grain absorption ratio was the issue, then it would not always be out .75 gals. It would vary depending on the size of the grainbill. Your shortcoming appears to be systematic (i.e. always .75 gals) which makes me suspect a loss to the brewing system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
No, you are forgetting that you have to add grain to increase the gravity. If your mash water is set to be proportional to the grain (e.g., 1.25 qts/lb) then you are going to have a greater volume of first runnings from the mash, and will require less sparge water to reach your target pre-boil volume.
I'm a beersmith convert, so thanks for bearing with me.

I think I figured it out today on a single batch. I think I have to basically increase my lauter tun deadspace from .5 gallon to 2.5 gallons for Beersmith to come out with the correct numbers. I like to get my sparge volume as half of my pre boil size. For a 5 gallon batch my preboil volume is 7 gallons.

I'm not losing 2.5 gallons to my 48 quart cooler but whatever it takes to get Beersmith to come out with the correct numbers...

Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can play with boil off rate too. Dialing in my equipment and knowing my dead space as well as boil off rate was a long process for me to understand.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly McStanson View Post
You can play with boil off rate too. Dialing in my equipment and knowing my dead space as well as boil off rate was a long process for me to understand.

Yep, still dialing in my equipment for Beersmith.
I'm still playing with the boil off as well. My boil off is different based on the wind outside...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunleav1 View Post
I'm a beersmith convert, so thanks for bearing with me.

I think I figured it out today on a single batch. I think I have to basically increase my lauter tun deadspace from .5 gallon to 2.5 gallons for Beersmith to come out with the correct numbers. I like to get my sparge volume as half of my pre boil size. For a 5 gallon batch my preboil volume is 7 gallons.

I'm not losing 2.5 gallons to my 48 quart cooler but whatever it takes to get Beersmith to come out with the correct numbers...
This post by me is totally foobar - so fogetaboutit.
I calculated my deadspace today and it's .5 gallon (like I originally had it).
I'm going back to playing with my my mash profile to get the volumes I want.
I've got another post with my Beersmith volume but I wanted to update this one in case someone was reading it.
JD

Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
MightyCow9
Recipes 

The problem here is the way that Beersmith shows the mash profile. It gives you a mash out that takes the water:grain to 2.0. This does not give you enough liquid to finish the batch. But if you print out the brew sheet it shows you in the last area of the page that you need to add "insert your equipment size difference here. Mine is usually 1-1.5 gallons" as a batch sparge. That is silly to do 1 one gallon sparge. So adjusting the mash equations is much more simple. 2.0 in sparge is great. but not worth the effort if you are just talking a couple percent efficiency.

Quick Reply