Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith - I'm doing it wrong!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It seems I need to figure out and account for dead space in the MLT. I didn't enter anything in there, though I was thinking after my maiden voage yestersay that the spigot doesn't sit level with the bottom. I'll have to figure out how much volume that is to account for it next time. This time around I just tilted the MLT forward to get a little extra out of it. It wasn't the recipe in the original post, it was a 2.5 gal test batch of a different brew, but my volumes worked out well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The dead space is in reference to the amount of unused space at the top. So a typical 10g rubbermaid cooler is something like 10.7 gallons. If you ended up with grains and strike water at the 10g mark, you would have .7 gallons of dead space. The more deadspace, the less efficient the cooler is at retaining the heat as you will "lose" heat into the dead space.

If you calibrate your MLT in BTP it will take the temp loss into consideration. It seems to be pretty accurate as long as you follow the steps.

Edit: I'm not sure what kind of manifold you are using, but if you can get a slight bend just inside the spigot, you can collect almost all of the wort without tipping. I have about a cup left in the bottom of mine when I am done.

Last edited by Whiskey; 05-18-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ah, that's the dead space eh, so it'll change every brew depending on the amount of grain?

I'm using a braid, and was thinking I might put a small tube bent down and then have the braid on it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The dead space is in reference to the amount of unused space at the top. So a typical 10g rubbermaid cooler is something like 10.7 gallons. If you ended up with grains and strike water at the 10g mark, you would have .7 gallons of dead space. The more deadspace, the less efficient the cooler is at retaining the heat as you will "lose" heat into the dead space.
You sure? I thought the dead space referred to the liquid you will not recover. It's dead space because there will be wort you cant get out of it, aka loss.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumprock View Post
You sure? I thought the dead space referred to the liquid you will not recover. It's dead space because there will be wort you cant get out of it, aka loss.
That's what I thought it meant as well... the space underneath the false bottom the leaves a little wort behind.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I appear to be mistaken. From the Beertool Wiki.

Quote:
Dead Space
This is the volume that cannot be drained from the vessel. While in the vessel, the deadspace volume is used in the calculations - including thickness.
My setup only leaves behind a cup or less...

Last edited by Whiskey; 05-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply