Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith and IBUs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Proofman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith and IBUs

I use beersmith alot. Every recipe I do (partial mash) I enter it into beersmith no mater where the rtecipe comes from (BYO, Books, my own recipes, etc.). When I enter the recipes into Beersmith, and I do it exactly as given, or a closely as possible, I end up with beersmith giving IBUs about 20-30% less than what the recipe called for (boil volume, extract addidtion times). Sometimes I adjust the recipe so the IBUs match the original, sometimes I don't. Some of these are clones and it seems more often that if I leave it as is it is closer to the original. I can taste the difference. I know if I go to the hop bitterness tool and enter the parameters under "Rager" the IBUs are closer to the original recipe. Is there an adjustment I haven't found? I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

This is a good question. There are also differences between software programs.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Are you doing full boils?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Proofman
Recipes 

I do full volume boils, and I understand how it affects utilization. What I always do is enter the original recipe then make adjustments.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proofman View Post
I do full volume boils, and I understand how it affects utilization. What I always do is enter the original recipe then make adjustments.
Why not just brew as printed? If you use exactly what they are using (amounts adjusted to account for differences in %AA of course) then you should then be getting what they intended. Once you have brewed a couple this way you can then use what ever program and say "Well BeerSmith says it is xx IBUs....I would like my next beer to be more bitter, say (xx+10) IBUS" and then just go for xx+10 IBUs as prescribed in BeerSmith. In other words, just choose a method/formula, stick to it, and calibrate your tastes to this. All these IBU ratings are just guesses anyway.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don’t get to hung up on the IBU numbers that you get out of the brewing software. They are estimations based on what other home brewers, who measured their IBUs, got. You may have to adjust the numbers based on previous experiences (achieved vs. desired bitterness level) that you had with your system.

There are a number of different formulas out there (Tinseth, Raeger, Garez, Ray Daniels ….) which will give you different IBU estimations. Chances are that the recipe was calculated with a different formula than you have selected in Beersmith. I suggest sticking with one formula and getting a feel for how far your IBU numbers are off from what you think the actual bitterness should be.

Kai

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Proofman
Recipes 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting hung up on the number. I was just wondering if there was something in the program I was missing. The only problem I had with this was when I did my own brown ale. I wanted something malty with low hop bitterness and I didn't take this topic into consideration. As a result, it was more bitter than I desired. But I still drank it all.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proofman View Post
I wanted something malty with low hop bitterness and I didn't take this topic into consideration. As a result, it was more bitter than I desired. But I still drank it all.

Happened to me on one of my early batches A SNPA clone that called for 37 IBU. I did the calculations and ended up with an almost undrinkably bitter batch. This is when I learned, that I have to shoot more towards 30 IBU when making a beer that should be as bitter as SNPA.

Later then I realized how flawed the bitterness estimation is. But once you know the limitations you can work with it fairly well.

Kai

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

The real formula for utilization is a bit complicated (it's an asymptotic function that depends on wort composition, gravity and temperature), so software just uses approximations. That's one of the reasons you'll see people claiming 100+ IBU for beers, even though that is a very real limit if you are boiling at sea level or higher.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Hi,
BeerSmith uses Tinseth by default which is great for full boil beers, but will give you a lower number than Rager. Many books and brewers traditionally used Rager because it was a bit easier to calculate. Rager is considered a bit better for partial boil batches. Some books and magazines also use a "flat" utilization of about 30% which is, quite frankly, not very accurate.

Personally I use Tinseth, as do most all grain and full boil brewers. It is a matter of preference.

You can adjust what formula is used in recipes from the "Bitterness" tab of the Options dialog (tools menu).

Cheers,
Brad

Quick Reply