Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith, IBU calculations, and full boils...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
BigdogMark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith, IBU calculations, and full boils...

After reading another thread regarding the differences in full boil vs. partial boil and the effect on IBU's, I downloaded and started playing with the IBU estimations. It is clear there is a significant impact in going from a partial to a full boil that would explain why we have brewed beers that were significantly more bitter than we expected.

One thing I noted was the difference between the calculated IBU's in a custom entered recipe vs. the predicted IBU's derived from the Tools/Hops Bitterness menu option. In my instance the recipe calculated 14.8 IBU's, but the same info entered into the hops bitterness panel returns 17.8 total IBU's. Why the difference?

Both predict similar changes in the bittering as the boil volume is changed, but I would have expected more correlation.

Recipe:
7 lbs pale LME
1 oz Cascade bittering hops 60 mins
1 oz Williamette aroma hops 5 mins
5 gal batch, 3.25 gal boil
1.050 OG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Probably different adjustment factors based on your equipment. Those IBU formulas are little more than wild guesses with large margins of error anyway - you just want to be in the general ballpark and refine your bitterness targets as you gain experience with your brewing equipment.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply