Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith Hops Alpha/Beta

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Beersmith Hops Alpha/Beta

A quick question about alpha & beta values for hops in Beersmith. Beersmith has default values for certain types of hops. For instance, the Ahtanum entry has an alpha of 6% and beta of 5.25%. I recently purchased some Ahtanum from my LHBS. Theirs was 4.5% alpha. So no problem, I can adjust that in Beersmith, but the beta value is still unknown to me. Is there a standard calculation for figuring out the beta value based on the alpha or is that information I can only get from the supplier?

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
A quick question about alpha & beta values for hops in Beersmith. Beersmith has default values for certain types of hops. For instance, the Ahtanum entry has an alpha of 6% and beta of 5.25%. I recently purchased some Ahtanum from my LHBS. Theirs was 4.5% alpha. So no problem, I can adjust that in Beersmith, but the beta value is still unknown to me. Is there a standard calculation for figuring out the beta value based on the alpha or is that information I can only get from the supplier?
Can't calculate beta from alpha a priori. You need to go to the supplier's web site and find the spec sheet for the hop. From Yakima Chief's website, I see that Ahtanum has an alpha/beta ratio of about 1.1, meaning your hops should be about 4.5/1.1 = 4.1% beta acid...although, you can't be exactly sure.

http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/ahtanum.html

Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
neovox

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

cool. thanks for the reply.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator