Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith - first all-grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
OhioMurb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith - first all-grain

Hey guys! Been lurking, but haven't posted before.

I just did my first all-grain this weekend, and I'm struggling with how to enter my data into Beersmith.

I've inputed my equipment and mash profile and followed those directions, but then ended up adding first 0.5 gallons of 70 degree water and then 1 gallon of 120 degree water to the mash to adjust the temp (I panicked a bit).

I ended up mashing for 120 minutes, at a too-low 142 degrees, so I added the strike water intending to batch sparge, but decided to keep that in there for 60 minutes at 154 degrees (I know, I know, I was all over the place).

So how do I update that in Beersmith? Is it an additional mash steps at the resulting temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i dont know anything about beersmith, but i think you might be pleasantly surprised at how your beer turns out with a double mash infusion like that. youll have a beer that is dry and malty and full of complexity. you should be fine with it. hope everything else works out for you. cheers!

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Please see the attached screen shots on how to add/modify mash step details.

mash0.jpg   mash1.jpg  

- JVD_X

Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
OhioMurb
Recipes 

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I may have made the thinnest oatmeal stout ever

Is the intention of Mash Profiles to predict what you should do (volume of water and temperature) or to record what actually happened?

Know what I mean? Should I be choosing a preset mash profile and then adjust it to my actual measured numbers? Or does it not matter what I select - I just plug in what I came up with?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
kronicade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMurb View Post
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I may have made the thinnest oatmeal stout ever

Is the intention of Mash Profiles to predict what you should do (volume of water and temperature) or to record what actually happened?

Know what I mean? Should I be choosing a preset mash profile and then adjust it to my actual measured numbers? Or does it not matter what I select - I just plug in what I came up with?

I'm pretty sure it's what you "should" do. I've never used the software you mention but I have brewed a few times. Here's an excellent online article on Mashing:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Starch Conversion/Saccharification Rest

Quick Reply