Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith elevation problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default Beersmith elevation problems

I currently live and brew at a little over 10,000 feet and my boiling point is approx. 195-200 degrees. When mashing and doing a decoction, a boiling wort will not bring the mash up as much as calculated on beersmith because the wort addition can be up to 15 degrees lower than at sea level. How would I tell beersmith that my boiling point is lower?

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradford View Post
I currently live and brew at a little over 10,000 feet and my boiling point is approx. 195-200 degrees. When mashing and doing a decoction, a boiling wort will not bring the mash up as much as calculated on beersmith because the wort addition can be up to 15 degrees lower than at sea level. How would I tell beersmith that my boiling point is lower?
I think you could just add 6-7% more mash to your decoctions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply