The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith Batch Sparge question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beersmith Batch Sparge question

I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with me or Beersmith (most likely me). I have Beersmith setup for single batch sparges. I am trying to figure out why the mash volume and batch sparge volume are not the same volumes. I have Batch Sparge using Batches that fill, 100%, Use equal sized batches and Drain mash tun before sparging all checked. I brewed a beer this Saturday which told me to at 11.03 quarts which is 2.75 gallons but the batch sparge volume was 5.53 gallons ? why are these so far off ? Or at least why isnt the mash higher than the sparge to account for grain absorption.

What am I missing ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

It's your water to grain ratio. I think beersmith defaults at 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. You can adjust it if you'd like. So the less grain in your recipe the less mash water is needed. If you did equal parts mash & sparge volumes....your mash would most likely be to thin. I typicall use 1.5qt/lb.

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle1 View Post
It's your water to grain ratio. I think beersmith defaults at 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. You can adjust it if you'd like. So the less grain in your recipe the less mash water is needed. If you did equal parts mash & sparge volumes....your mash would most likely be to thin. I typicall use 1.5qt/lb.
Ahh, that makes sense because this was a VERY small grain bill and a 90 minute boil. Thanks. I knew it was just me.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It wasn't totally you, it was at least partly Beersmith for making batch sparging more difficult than it should be. I know how to work it but I still think that if you click the equal size button it should do it for you rather than having to go into the first infusion and manually change the water to grain ratio.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The equal size calculation is only factoring in the sparge part so if you limit it to one sparge, it effectively has nothing to equalize. I could see utility in a checkbox for "force all runoff to be equal volume" where it would modify the mash ratio on the fly. However, I think there is a general reluctance since so many think mash ratio has to be just so.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply