Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith and 2 computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Yooper, if you PM me an email address, I can send you a dropbox invite. IF you sign up that way, I get some additional space. You can do the same thing. Get others to use the link, or reference your email and you'll get more space. Of course, they start you off [now] with more space than they did when I signed up.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Yooper, if you PM me an email address, I can send you a dropbox invite. IF you sign up that way, I get some additional space. You can do the same thing. Get others to use the link, or reference your email and you'll get more space. Of course, they start you off [now] with more space than they did when I signed up.
Sure! PM coming!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Got it and replied already...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the Cloud service on my laptop while I am brewing in the garage. Then I either save it to a memory stick or copy it from the cloud to my PC after completing the brew. While I dont have that many recipes, I just delete off the Cloud to keep it below 10.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I am trying to use Google Drive to synch files between 2 laptops and an android tablet. I don't just want to copy recipes, but inventory, equipment profile, and calendar.
This is what I did to try to get this to work:

I already had my copy of BS running for months with the google drive folder set as the default document folder on the 1st pc.

• 1. I first copied all the files in the documents folder and pasted them into a new folder (backup originals) in my google drive folder.
  • This first step could be done from either pc for me, I used the 1st pc.
  • 2. I opened the (backup originals) folder in google drive on the 2nd pc next and copied the files to the local folder that was set as the default document folder. I let it overwrite any files in there with the files from PC1.
  • 3. I then opened Beersmith on the 2nd pc and checked that the recipes, and inventory were the same as the 1st computer.
  • 3.. I then made sure that BS was closed on the first computer.
  • 4. On the 2nd computer I changed BS documents default folder to the google drive folder, the same as the one used on the 1st pc. I then closed BS.
  • 4.. All the files from the 2nd computer copied to the google drive folder and it took a while to synch at this point.
  • 5. Now the two computers use the same folder and everything seems to be synched. I wanted to test the synch going forward so I made a new recipe in my brewlog on the 2nd pc, saved and closed BS. I waited for google drive to tell me the synch was complete, then opened BS on computer 1, no new recipe displayed.
  • 6. I closed BS on PC1 and checked BS on PC2 again, the new recipe opened up. I tried making a recipe from PC1 and opening BS on PC2, no recipe transferred, inventory did not update from one pc to the other.
Now I am not sure what to do, I dont want to have to copy paste every time I switch computers to manually synch them. How is this any different than people using dropbox?
Thanks and happy holidays!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
jordanbnell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post
I am trying to use Google Drive to synch files between 2 laptops and an android tablet. I don't just want to copy recipes, but inventory, equipment profile, and calendar.

I already had my copy of BS running for months with the google drive folder set as the default document folder on the 1st pc.
  • 1. I first copied all the files in the documents folder and pasted them into a new folder (backup originals) in my google drive folder.
  • 2. I opened the (backup originals) folder in google drive on the 2nd pc next and copied the files to the local folder that was set as the default document folder. I let it overwrite any files in there with the files from PC1.
  • 3. I then opened Beersmith on the 2nd pc and checked that the recipes, and inventory were the same as the 1st computer.
  • 4. On the 2nd computer I changed BS documents default folder to the google drive folder, the same as the one used on the 1st pc. I then closed BS.
  • 4.. All the files from the 2nd computer copied to the google drive folder and it took a while to synch at this point.
  • 5. Now the two computers use the same folder and everything seems to be synched. I wanted to test the synch going forward so I made a new recipe in my brewlog on the 2nd pc, saved and closed BS. I waited for google drive to tell me the synch was complete, then opened BS on computer 1, no new recipe displayed.
  • 6. I closed BS on PC1 and checked BS on PC2 again, the new recipe opened up. I tried making a recipe from PC1 and opening BS on PC2, no recipe transferred, inventory did not update from one pc to the other.
Now I am not sure what to do, I dont want to have to copy paste every time I switch computers to manually synch them. How is this any different than people using dropbox?
You definitely have the right method. I do the same thing but I'm using brewtarget and everything works very well. Have you tried disabling autosave?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan View Post

I usually just export the ingredients/hardware profiles I want to move to the second system then import them into it's install. I simply select the items I want, or that are not already present, and export those (only). I believe there could be a file in the mass of files you downloaded to the second system that's more tied to the first. You'll also want to set your defaults on the second system to be the same as you pulled from the first system. Once you have it down/done, you should be good to go. For me, it's been a while since I did this. I do use the BeerSmith cloud item to transfer recipes between (typically the brew of the day, or when I want to work on something remote and want it on my Windows 8 tablet.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
Oter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dropbox is better for more than just backing up all your recipes. You can route your beersmith directory to dropbox, then copy all the files to it, then create a short cut on the desk top of all the computers you use, bam!, you are running the same copy of beersmith on every computer you own. As far as I know it doesn't violate the TOS, as you are not installing the same serial on more than one computer, and there is no modifying of the provided software to achieve the outcome.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oter View Post
Dropbox is better for more than just backing up all your recipes. You can route your beersmith directory to dropbox, then copy all the files to it, then create a short cut on the desk top of all the computers you use, bam!, you are running the same copy of beersmith on every computer you own. As far as I know it doesn't violate the TOS, as you are not installing the same serial on more than one computer, and there is no modifying of the provided software to achieve the outcome.
That sounds great! But I'm not a computer person so for me to do that is over my head. If someone could type out simple instructions, starting with "go to _______ under "file"" or something, I'd do that.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Oter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

NOTE: DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING! YOU CAN LEAVE THE BEERSMITH FILES IN YOUR PROGRAM FILES AS THEY WILL NOT INTERFERE SINCE YOU CHANGED YOUR DIRECTORY. IT IS BEST TO TEST IT BY CREATING A SHORTCUT ON A COMPUTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE BEERSMITH INSTALLED ON IT.

Step 1: Create Dropbox Account

Step 2: Create folder named "Beersmith" in dropbox folder

Step 3: Go to your Beersmith folder in program files (or whereever you saved it to) and copy/paste those files to the "beersmith" dropbox folder.

Step 4: Open Beersmith

Step 5: Go to File > Change Documents Directory

Step 6: Choose beersmith folder inside dropbox folder

Step 7: Create Shortcut on your desktop by right clicking the .exe in the dropbox folder and choosing "create shortcut"

Step 8: Lauch Beersmith with said shortcut

A couple notes: you cannot have beersmith open on two computers at once. If you do there will be conflicts and your changes will not save. ALWAYS CLOSE BEERSMITH WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH IT.
Also, MAKE BACKUPS!

Quick Reply