Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith and 2 computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4659 Times on 3384 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Default Beersmith and 2 computers

I have a laptop and a desktop. I understand I can use both computers with my one registration key.

I'm NOT computer savvy at all, and I was wondering how to set up the recipe folders to be accessible from either computer so I can make changes during the brewday on the laptop. And then, should I also save to the laptop, just in case my desktop dies? I hope those questions make sense, but if not I'll try to explain myself better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IF you have a NAS, you could backup the recipes there. Just export them from one system and copy the files there.

You could also make changes on the laptop, on brew day, send the recipe to the cloud, then pull/copy it down to your desktop. You could also move copies of everything (I would also do any other customized ingredients, profiles, etc.) up to a DropBox folder for safe keeping.

I've had mixed results trying to get BeerSmith to use a network share for it's recipes directory. I have found using the BeerSmith Cloud offering, as well as DropBox to be more usable for B&R routines (Backup and Recovery)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Dedicate a thumb drive for your xml files then your always backed up

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
Dedicate a thumb drive for your xml files then your always backed up
That's something I'll have to do, as I will take the laptop to Texas. While I don't brew in Texas, I still could write/plan recipes. I don't have a thumb drive, though- I have to get one.

I also have to figure out where the darn Beersmith recipe directory is.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's something I'll have to do, as I will take the laptop to Texas. While I don't brew in Texas, I still could write/plan recipes. I don't have a thumb drive, though- I have to get one.

I also have to figure out where the darn Beersmith recipe directory is.
Get a DropBox account (it's free). You'll be able to put your files there from anyplace with an internet connection. Then just use the 'export' function from within BeerSmith to then upload the files. IMO, pretty easy. Plus, doesn't require spending a penny.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
av8er79
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did this just yesterday. Beer smith has a cloud for your recipes. This is basically online storage for free. Just upload your recipes to the cloud and they can be accessed on any computer. To upload to the could simply right click on the recipe and there is an option to send to cloud.

http://beersmith.com/beersmithrecipe...ideo-overview/

Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
I did this just yesterday. Beer smith has a cloud for your recipes. This is basically online storage for free. Just upload your recipes to the cloud and they can be accessed on any computer. To upload to the could simply right click on the recipe and there is an option to send to cloud.

http://beersmith.com/beersmithrecipe...ideo-overview/
Very small number of recipes can be kept via the free offering. It's fine if you just want a way to quickly shift between two systems. BUT, in my professional opinion, it's not good for long term, or high recipe count, usage.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I have a laptop and a desktop. I understand I can use both computers with my one registration key.

I'm NOT computer savvy at all, and I was wondering how to set up the recipe folders to be accessible from either computer so I can make changes during the brewday on the laptop. And then, should I also save to the laptop, just in case my desktop dies? I hope those questions make sense, but if not I'll try to explain myself better.
If you go to FILE and select EXPORT ALL you can export all files to desktop or thumb drive. Once software is installed on second computer you can then go FILE to IMPORT WIZARD and import the exported file from your thumb drive.

As mentioned, the new version does have cloud that allows access anywhere but I will assume you have a lot more storage requirement than the free cloud allows for and probably do not want to pay for additional storage capacity

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll second dropbox. It's very user friendly and you can download the app to your computers. It's as simple as dragging and dropping the file into the folders. I've gone to it for storing all my documents, program files. Much easier than using a thumb drive.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Get a DropBox account (it's free). You'll be able to put your files there from anyplace with an internet connection. Then just use the 'export' function from within BeerSmith to then upload the files. IMO, pretty easy. Plus, doesn't require spending a penny.
That sounds like good solution! Thanks.

I'm not too much of a cheapskate (oh, well, yes I am) but 10 recipes on the cloud is nothin'!

I had some personalized help on this via PM, so I think I'm good but I like the dropbox idea a lot and will probably utilize that later on.

Quick Reply