Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith 2 & Bottling sugar questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default Beersmith 2 & Bottling sugar questions

My last batch of beer was severely overcarb'ed and I don't want that to happen with the batch that I have lagering on my porch. When I look at Beersmith, which I used for this recipe, it says to use 4.32 oz of corn sugar. This sounds about right, but when I adjust the measured bottling volume I expect that amount to change with it but it doesn't, and this makes me suspicious. If I adjust the carb level it will change the sugar qty, as expected, but why doesn't bottling volume come into the picture?

There is also the carbonation tool, which takes carb level, temp, and batch size and that does work, but gives me a different answer than 4.32, more like 3.59.

Which of those answers would you use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I use .75-1 oz corn sugar per gallon bottled- usually 4-5 oz per 5 gallon batch for almost all beer styles. So, I'd go with 4 oz at least.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I always used 5 oz as a standard, but that last batch had 6, and it was slightly undersized too, so I've got foam, lots of foam. I'll go with 4 this time.

Maybe I should just start kegging...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Priming rates at bottling is temperature sensitive. The highest temperature that your beer rested at after high krausen is what you should use. The reason for this is because colder beer has the ability to hold more CO2 in solution. Typically I hear about these over carbing tales frOm folks who normally do ales but have recently started lagers and did not adjust their priming practices and reduce the sugars. Palmer has a good chapter explaining this and if I can find it I know there is a good calculator online for getting your priming right based on the temp.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Here it is
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Along with a good thread about this.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/effects-cold-crashing-priming-sugar-needs-134347/

The thread may be a bit confusing because it's talkig a lot about cold crashing. Just remember the temp to use in the calculator is the max temp your beer spent time at. Generally cold crashing should not affect priming rates especially for ales.

Quick Reply