Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith 2 and Altitude

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
XPLSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beersmith 2 and Altitude

I found a posting from several years ago but nothing recent...

I live and brew at roughly 6900 feet, giving me a boil temperature of 200 F. I have been trying to figure out if adjustments are available in Brewsmith to account for this lower boiling temperature. I did find I could go into the mash profiles and individually adjust the boiling temperature to 200 F. However, I am still seeing infusion calcuations by the program telling me to use water at 207 F, etc. Obviously, I cannot do that. I cannot edit that 207 F infusion temperature from within the recipe mash tab. Anyone know of any other adjustments within the program that might fix this? This problem occurs in the Mash Out step.

Reason: Additional info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This is set in the mash profile (Profile -> Mash). You either need to update the default mash profiles (e.g. Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge), or create your own custom mash profile. Boiling Temperature is under the "Mash Properties" heading.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I don't understand why you are unable to get the water to 207F. IME, water doesn't stop heating once you hit boiling temps. Put a cover on the kettle/pot and you can [very easily] get it above boiling temps. Use a pressure cooker and you can do it even easier (and higher).

Either that or change over to a directly heated mash tun. I use a keg mash tun, that I heat with a propane burner. Means I can easily get to mash-out/sparge temps without adding any more water.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Pie Man - I did go through and update the boiling temperature in each of the mash profiles. This resulted in changes to the infusion additions for the various rest temperatures...but I still ended up getting temperatures higher than my 200 degree boiling temperature for the mash out step (this is where it has told me to add 207 degree or 209 degree water). I have been modifying previously entered recipes...perhaps I need to try inputting one from scratch when I get through my current brew day.

Golddiggie--the boiling point is the phase change for water from liquid to gas...while the steam can be heated beyond the boiling point, the liquid cannot...it changed to steam at 200 degree (or 212 at sea level).

Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have found a rather quick work around. While I cannot change the 207 degree temperature I get on the mash tab for the mash out step (it will not let me edit that temperature), I can change the volume of the water addition. As I increase the volume of the water, the water temperature is decreased. So...with a few guesses, I can get the volume addition for my desired 200 degree temperature.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLSV View Post
Golddiggie--the boiling point is the phase change for water from liquid to gas...while the steam can be heated beyond the boiling point, the liquid cannot...it changed to steam at 200 degree (or 212 at sea level).
That's funny, especially since I've had a harder boil read about 214F (I'm close enough to sea level that it boils at 212F). As I mentioned, if you use a pressure cooker, you can get it far above 212F.

I think people believe that at 212F water magically changes into steam (at sea level) and you cannot go above that. Not so. That's where water starts to boil. A HARD boil will be above that in temperature. Add some pressure (via a 'pressure cooker') and you can go even higher.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The pressure cooker will cause an effect such as being "below" sea level.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would think simply adding boiling water would be enough for a mash out. I don't think I'd worry about it too much.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:

super off-topic, but i'm a nerd...in this chart, what is the "critical point" of water? what does it do?

somebody with science please enlighten me?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

It also allows you to boil at 15psi, or 250F.

I was using cooler converted mash tuns initially. Had too much issue getting up to sparge temp in them. Moved to a sanke keg (directly fired on a propane burner) and haven't had any issue since. Now I just mash, fire (and stir) to get to sparge temp, drain and fill with sparge water (also fired on a burner to temp). SO much easier to do, for me. I think there are some that use electric heaters in coolers to get their mash up to sparge temp easily. Something you might want to at least look into.

Fermenting
K1:
neosapien Likes This 

Quick Reply