zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
when i changed the mash temp from 147 to 146 my est FG went from 1.008 to 1.011
I think the calculation for adjusting the fermentability for mash temperature turns off between 147 and 146. I tried changing it for a beer that had 1.010 est FG at 148. It dropped to 1.009 at 147, and then jumped to 1.013 at 146. Dropping it as low as 140 brought on no further changes.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #413
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
There is/was an iOS app for controlling a BCS in the app store. I am also pretty sure I saw one for Android floating around. Of course I think for a BCS you can use any web browser to control it anyway.
Great, you can explain to my wife where that money went.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #414
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought Beersmith yesterday, and I'm experiencing a bit of a learning curve.

A couple questions about the Brewer's Best English Brown Ale I brewed today. Here's a link to my recipe:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewreci...lish-brown-ale

#1 - Not sure I set up my equipment right. I have a 9 gallon pot, and I used a paint strainer bag for the first time today to steep my grains. Does this mean I should set my "Mash Tun Volume" to 9 gallons? Anything else I need to change?

#2 - I cut back my bittering hops to 0.75 ounces from 1.0 ounces due to doing a full boil. According to Beersmith, this results in 52.3 IBUs (recipe claims to have 21-25 IBUs). Even following the recipe exactly (as far as I can tell), doing a 2.5 gallon partial boil and using all 1.0 ounces of Brewer's Gold hops Brewsmith says I'll end up with 58.2 IBUs. I must be doing something wrong.

So far, I'm feeling more confused than informed using this software. Based on all the positive posts regarding this software, I'm looking forward to when it all "clicks" for me.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #415
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

#1 If you are doing an extract recipe, you don't really need to worry so much about mash tun type or volume. The only thing that you really might have to worry about is making sure you can fit the steeping grains in the pot along with your preboil volume.

#2 The IBUs are highly dependent on the alpha acid % of the hops, and when you do the addition. Did the instructions say to boil the hops for 60 minutes?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #416
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I steeped in about 2 gallons of water (didn't see where to enter the steeping water volume in beersmith) and then added a bit over 4 gallons and brought to a boil.

I put in 0.75 oz of brewers gold for 60, then 1 oz of UK Golding for 15 minutes and 0.5 oz of UK Golding for the last 5 minutes.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #417
weirdboy
Recipes 

I didn't ask what you did, I asked what the instructions said. If you bought a kit then it came with instructions. That ought to give you some small indication of what is going on.

0.75oz of 8% AA Brewer's Gold for 60 minutes in a 1.045ish wort ought to be around 25 IBUs. Not sure how you are getting 50+ IBUs.

1.0oz of East Kent Goldings for 15 minutes, assuming 5% AA, will get you another 10 or so IBUs according to my copy of Beersmith.

That puts you over the typical range for an English brown, but certainly not double.

And, if the AA% on those hops that you got was lower than the numbers in Beersmith, then you are probably right on target. If they were higher, then maybe not. However, regardless you should read and understand the instructions before you make modifications to a recipe.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #418
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I downloaded your recipe and played with it a bit. It does seem to be giving 50ish IBUs as it started. If I drop it to a 2.8 gallon boil (the closest equipment profile I had lying around, one of the default ones), it still stays around 38. Something is up with the recipe, AA% is a good guess, though none of the numbers you have in there are way out of whack.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #419
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a link to the brewers best kit recipe.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1...e%20Recipe.pdf

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #420
weirdboy
Recipes 

OK I clicked on your beersmith link, and your instructions. Maris Otter is not Amber LME, and Amber Malt is not Amber DME. Maris Otter is a base grain, which you shouldn't even have in your recipe for an extract recipe, and Amber Malt is some specialty malt that has no business being there either.

There is an ingredient in the grains which says "Amber Liquid Extract". THAT is what you should be using, along with 2 lbs of "Amber Dry Extract". That at least will get you a more reasonable gravity number. I'm not even sure how you got the number you have...I guess you have some weird setting for efficiency, and you didn't select "Extract" as the recipe type, as you should have, because then you'd get extremely wrong numbers that would make it obvious you were doing something wrong in Beersmith.

But even with all of that, I still get much higher IBUs--in the range of around 35-38. Really you should be using more like .5oz of the Brewer's Gold if you're doing a full boil, assuming they are 8% alpha acid.

So, in the future, if you are doing an extract recipe, select "Extract" as the recipe type. You have selected either "Partial Mash" or "All Grain" because otherwise you'd be getting something like 1.007 for your OG. Then you should substitute Amber Liquid Extract for your Maris Otter, and substitute Amber Dry Extract for your Amber Malt. That should give you IBUs around 37-38. If you click "decrease amount" on the Brewers Gold to bring it down to .5oz, you'll see the IBUs fall into the 20's.

The recipe was written assuming a partial boil, where you add all the extract at the beginning of the boil and you are boiling something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the final volume. Really you could get away with half of the bittering hops (even with a partial boil extract, so long as you don't add all the extract at the beginning) and end up with the right IBUs.

Quick Reply