Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #401
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Strange, when I clicked on the Pilsner malt this morning it showed 9lbs in the popup box, when I hit ok, it changed it to 9 on the recipe. I can't get it to duplicate what it did, I tried changing it to 8.99lbs and it read 8lbs 15.8oz.

Now I just re-opened the program and it went back to the 8lbs 16oz. This is the only recipe it's doing this on. It's showing I have 37lbs 16oz of Pilsner malt in inventory, I changed it and that change stayed, but every time you reopen the program it goes back to 8lbs 16oz on that one recipe.

_

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #402
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

This exact thing happened to me when I used the scale feature. Did you happen to scale that recipe?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #403
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
This exact thing happened to me when I used the scale feature. Did you happen to scale that recipe?
Actually no, it is Kai's recipe which is just malt percentages.

_

Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #404
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Try changing the units just to pounds to see if it's a weird number, then fix it to 9.0 lbs even (be sure to use the decimal point and zero), then change it back to lbs/oz for units.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #405
TheYoshi
Recipes 

I've been using Beersmith for a bit now and trying to get used to it, I think I'm going to go back to BeerAlchemy. I am admittedly a mac guy and was excited when BS 2.0 came out with Mac support, bought it immediately. That said, the UI is just horrific, it's beyond being not user friendly, it's truly terrible. I like the capabilities of the software but creating recipes really causes me pain.

I also don't get why if I want to make a "batch" of a recipe I have to copy it and rename it, it's really nice to store batches under a recipe so you can go back and compare the minor differences from batch to batch and see what worked out best.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #406
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post
I've been using Beersmith for a bit now and trying to get used to it, I think I'm going to go back to BeerAlchemy. I am admittedly a mac guy and was excited when BS 2.0 came out with Mac support, bought it immediately. That said, the UI is just horrific, it's beyond being not user friendly, it's truly terrible. I like the capabilities of the software but creating recipes really causes me pain.

I also don't get why if I want to make a "batch" of a recipe I have to copy it and rename it, it's really nice to store batches under a recipe so you can go back and compare the minor differences from batch to batch and see what worked out best.
Ill continue using it but I tend to agree with you on most points. I hate that when I'm at the bottom of the recipe I have to scroll to the top to see the tabs containing mash, ferment, notes etc. They should ditch the redundant bars and include that on top. I believe the answer to your "batch" issue is to highlight a recipe and click copy to brewlog. It will allow you to mark what version it is, change date etc and not effect the original.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #407
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It'd be nice to see two finger scrolling enabled properly as well. I like the features but agree the UI is rough. I left BeerTools for this and wish BeerTools would give the same detailed recipe builds as this, but BeerTools was REALLY user-friendly.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #408
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bought it about 3 months ago and I'd have to say it continues to impress. Definitely worth the money I paid.

I'd love to see a smart phone app and a hardware interface for real-time measurements/control over my PID.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #409
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewfreeordie View Post
I bought it about 3 months ago and I'd have to say it continues to impress. Definitely worth the money I paid.

I'd love to see a smart phone app and a hardware interface for real-time measurements/control over my PID.
There is/was an iOS app for controlling a BCS in the app store. I am also pretty sure I saw one for Android floating around. Of course I think for a BCS you can use any web browser to control it anyway.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #410
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Is there a spot for ongoing gravity readings? I see the few major steps, but it'd be nice if you could record over time. Also, it'd be nice if you could push your shopping list to a selection of online sites, I'd do that, even if it costs more for whatever stores there are, the convenience would cover it.

Quick Reply