Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #391
Indyking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Awesome, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #392
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Sorry guys, I don't have time to read the whole tread, I apologize if this has been answered here before, but I have version 1.4 I think in my PC and now would like to install version 2.0 in my Mac since it has finally become available for Macs!!!

Do I have to buy a new program for the upgrade? Is there a discount for current 1.4 users?
Probably too late but my experience is...

1.4 is a great program. Almost perfect and with a few slight changes it would be perfect. The ONLY issue I had was I had to run Parallels on my Mac to run the program in Windows. I've been using Macs for more than 20 years so my entire reason for upgrading to 2.0 was the Mac version. I have tried *all* the Mac software out there and I still found Beersmith 1.4 to be far far superior.

I am now back to 1.4!!! 2.0 was not just a port to Mac, it was a whole new program and it frankly is IMHO far far inferior to the original version: a cluttered ugly interface, bug after bug after bug, and weird seemingly quite arbitrary changes (like the new awful calendar view.) I paid for the upgrade but I consider it a total waste of money. I'll wait for 2.5 for the myriad bugs to be dealt with and then re-evaluate but I suspect I will still prefer 1.4. How an almost perfect piece of Brewing software was "revised" to a buggy convoluted nightmare is beyond me but that is what happened.

To wit: I am resigned to running Windows on my Mac for a long time to come...!

God how I wish this software was simply ported, unchanged to Mac OS instead of being rewritten. Oh well.

YMMV and WTF
Steve da sleeve

Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #393
bakeup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I just go with what Mr. Malty says for my starters... I'm using a stirplate now, so I get to make smaller ones than before. Plus, I have two flasks (2L and 3L) to use on the plate... I made a 1.75L starter on the stirplate for my last batch... It was close enough to what I needed for cell count (according to Mr. Malty)... Took off like mad in the 8-18 hour range (while no one was there to check on it)... Of course, I also hit it with pure O2 via the stone wand and O2 tank.

I have to say that I'm loving having the stirplate... SO much easier to make starters now. Plus, I don't need to worry about making monster starters. 95% of my brews won't need more than a 3L starter with the stirplate. Of course, having two flasks also means I can make two starters for a batch if I need to.

At this point, I would trust Mr. Malty for starter size... As much as I like BeerSmith 2.0, I think there's something wrong with the math in the starter section... Hopefully a patch/update will be released (sooner rather than later) to address this...

Something else that would be nice to have... Proper carbonation calculations. I'm kegging 2.5-3 gallons of each batch, bottling the balance. Right now, BeerSmith is useless for figuring out how much sugar to add/use... Luckily, there are enough online tools that I can get the amount easily, and quickly. It would just be nice to have the option to call out that you're kegging part and bottling the rest...
I didn't see where anyone else answered this, but I did find that you can change the options for using a stir plate if you think the growth factor is too high. I did. I think default is something like 2.66, which is why it seems it is so high. You can change it so that you get results closer to Mr Malty and then just use this for starters.

Ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #394
hoppheadIPA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a 1.4 user from way back. Then I got a mac and downloaded Beer Alchemy. Good program except it lacks some features that Beersmith had. I just had a chance to download the new 2.0 recently since it's available for my Mac. Boy am I dissapointed. I mean, it has a lot of great features but the user interface is complete garbage. The screen is so cluttered and there's a lot of redundant information. For the amount of time that Mac users waited, its time wasted. I will NOT be purchasing this program. I love Beersmith 1.4, but I'm waiting for a newer version than 2.0 for my Mac.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #395
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Explain this away? I've been hesitant to actually brew a beer with this shaky upgrade, although technically accurate, WTF!!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #396
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450
Explain this away? I've been hesitant to actually brew a beer with this shaky upgrade, although technically accurate, WTF!!
The 750ml bottle of Double Dead Guy I just finished off the night with probably isn't helping, but I'm having difficulty spotting anything wrong with that screenshot

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #397
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
The 750ml bottle of Double Dead Guy I just finished off the night with probably isn't helping, but I'm having difficulty spotting anything wrong with that screenshot
That makes two of us.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #398
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 112

8 lbs 16.0 oz? Doesn't that equal 9 lbs?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #399
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3069 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 2605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuginator View Post
8 lbs 16.0 oz? Doesn't that equal 9 lbs?
Yea, odd. I do like the change from fractional pounds to lbs/ounces, though.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #400
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Yep, agreed - pounds + ounces is much easier on the brain!

I'm sure the 8lb 16oz is just an internal rounding thing; maybe the recipe contents were automatically adjusted for some reason, and instead of the original 9.000 lbs, internally it's now 8.999 lbs. Rounding poundage down yields 8 pounds, and rounding ounces up yields 16 ounces.

Quick Reply