Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Yes. Should be a volume per hour instead of percentage per hour. And, if anyone is smart enough to integrate a RH with Surface area algorithm based on equipment profile and with selections for wind (fan) and no wind for estimated boil off that would be swell.
I was thinking the same thing too earlier this week.

One thing I was doing with Beersmith (the 1.4 trial, as I knew 2.0 was coming soon) was setting up a recipe for a lambic, and immediately it was clear that setting up the mash schedule for a turbid mash is impossible. That would be a neat feature, even if one that most people might never use. I am probably doing a 4-hour boil with the lambic, and wanted to see what kind of volumes I needed - in particular, if my kettle is large enough to hold the amount of wort necessary to produce a 5gal batch after such a long boil.

It didn't matter though, because I realized that using any mash schedule to work out the pre-boil volume. But the problem with measuring boil-off as a percentage quickly presented a serious flaw - it implies that boiling 10gal down to 5gal takes just as long as boiling a tablespoon down to 0.5tbsp, which is just absurd. I know that it's an extreme example, but if the total boil-off volume seems to be pretty accurate for your standard 60- or 90-minute boil-length and whatever batch size, then the more you change one of those variables, the further off the calculation will be from reality.

For instance, I brewed a Berliner Weisse a few months ago, and the boil volume of 15min represented a difference of 4-fold from a standard 60min boil - same as with my lambic, just in the opposite direction. The main difference is that with the Berliner Weisse, it should end up choosing TOO LOW a starting volume, but that can easily be fixed with a post-boil top-up. The 4-hour boil calculates out to over a gallon more than is actually needed, which can be fixed, I suppose, by boiling it longer, which isn't too serious since lambic only gets a bittering charge (with aged, virtually 0%AA hops at that), but that's a waste of time. Two more beers I have planned though with long boils, a Bière de Garde (3 hours) and a Saison (2 hours), with both also having very time-sensitive hop charges in addition to the bittering (30min, as well as 15 min+ 5min charges, respectively). Obviously if I were to just lengthen boil times to reach the correct volumes, they'd all become useless bittering additions.

So it's a pretty substantial flaw. Sure, more-accurate measures can be done in a manual fashion, but just about everything in Beersmith can, so that's a bit besides the point! Especially when you consider those that might not realize the ridiculousness of measuring boil-off by %.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #32
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
wyazz, suggest a "no sparge" mash profile, with adjustments possible for grain absorption worked into it!
I think you'll be pleased on this front...
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #33
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I like the recipe by percentages feature. And it looks like it has something that a ton of folks come on here asking for- The ability to type in a few ingredients and have it suggest a style. Not something I've seen the need for- I usually know what I want to brew and then create the recipe, but it seems a lot of folks on here want it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4680 Times on 4339 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I like the recipe by percentages feature. And it looks like it has something that a ton of folks come on here asking for- The ability to type in a few ingredients and have it suggest a style. Not something I've seen the need for- I usually know what I want to brew and then create the recipe, but it seems a lot of folks on here want it.
BeerSmith has, for as long as I have owned it, always been able to reccommend a recipe based on Inventory. Problem is, 1. You have to have an updated inventory, and 2. You have to have multiple recipes in your collection.

For a noob with time on their hands to play with, it would be easy enough to take a recipe book and start plugging things in for style proven recipes.

But, the final flaw is that the way to search the DB with filters applied for Inventory items is not well known or even discussed in the manual. So everyone assumes it doesn't exist or, they don;t have enough plugged into their recipe DB for it to be worth while.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #35
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4680 Times on 4339 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You know what would be REALLY nice?

If HBT could incorporate BeerXML files into the allowable attachments. Then we could simply pluck the files from the recipe area and import it into our Brewing Softwares.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
BeerSmith has, for as long as I have owned it, always been able to reccommend a recipe based on Inventory. Problem is, 1. You have to have an updated inventory, and 2. You have to have multiple recipes in your collection.
All the years I've used it, I've never seen that feature, what button? I'm like you I never update my inventories anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #37
goetzUM
Recipes 

More malt and hop libraries are highly needed. I hope he's working on adding those as well.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #38
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzUM View Post
More malt and hop libraries are highly needed. I hope he's working on adding those as well.
Easily added to the default lists by an Add-Ons option in the menu. Recipe packs, Different Maltsters, etc...
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #39
goetzUM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Easily added to the default lists by an Add-Ons option in the menu. Recipe packs, Different Maltsters, etc...
That sounds great. Are they going to have Great Western, Simpsons, Gambrinus, Bairds and other maltsters that they currently don't have libraries for? I would really like to record the specific maltsters malt that I use, so that later I can look back and remember what I liked and what I didn't.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #40
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzUM View Post
That sounds great. Are they going to have Great Western, Simpsons, Gambrinus, Bairds and other maltsters that they currently don't have libraries for? I would really like to record the specific maltsters malt that I use, so that later I can look back and remember what I liked and what I didn't.
It's my understanding that these will continue to be developed and will be able to be added by the community. Also if you're a current user and have specific grains that you've added to BeerSmith 1.x you can export/import them.

Quick Reply