Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Tools Pro vs. Beer Alchemy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm. I haven't much of a clue as to how to figure that out.

I found this info:
Apple juice, canned or bottled, unsweetened, without added ascorbic acid -- 10.90g per 100 grams of juice

So, if my math is correct, that's 10.9% sugar content. How much of that sugar would be considered fermentable?

I think I may post this question to one of the other areas of the site here, see if I can get a close approximation.

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 AM   #22
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Can you find apple juice in BTP or BS?

If so just use the data from those programs to add it to BA, that is what I do.
I have also been using Brewtarget, a freeware app by one of the guys on here, it works pretty good, it is a little glitchy by really not that bad at all.

Between he both of them, I can usually find everything I need, then I just add the missing stuff to the programs.

What I really need to do is figure out how to set up my equipment, Thermal mass and all the "science" crap really beats me down.....

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1 - Amber Ale
Ferm 2
On Deck - Milk/Coffee Stout
Keg 1:
Keg 2:

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 10

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
BSBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

after reading this I feel like I am still just as torn on which one to get...

On the journey from home brewing to brewery...follow our progress below:

BoleroSnort.com|Twitter|Facebook

Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
73Drvr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it helps any BTP has zero support. None, nada, zip.

Every time I install it on my mac it will run from the disk image. But if I close it and try to run it from the applications folder I get a "Master Database Missing" error.

There is probably some quirk with this software that would be an easy fix. But since they won't respond to my emails, I don't know what else to try.

There are several other complaints I have with the software that I won't go into now. There are things that my $6.99 iphone brewing app will do that BTP won't. Haven't tried BTA though.

I wish I could get my money back for BTP.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 941 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have no idea why they won't respond on your major problem but I'm curious what functionality you really want out of it that it's not doing since I'm a happy user.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
73Drvr Likes This 
Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #26
lmerg
Recipes 

I'm playing with Beer Alchemy now that I'm a few batches in. My hope is to combine a recipe / inventory tool with a spreadsheet to track basic info about my fermentation (such as daily swamp cooler temps or SG readings). My brother is working through a few PC alternatives.

In general, I find the UI in most Mac programs superior to a PC version. The screenshots of ProMash and Beersmith appear to bear this out, however this is a subjective, personal judgment. Now, I have to decide if I want to spend the $40 on software rather than struggle through the free alternatives (BrewTarget?).

Regarding Beer Alchemy, I'm wondering if others are comfortable dialing in the specifics of batches. And, possibly because I'm doing Mini-Mashes now, the "mash editor" and related fields are acting wonky. Again, because I'm brewing recipe kits, I can't really try the shopping / inventory management, although it seems like a smart feature. Has anyone been able to enter Apfelwein properly as a recipe?

Last Question: Is there any information about professional brewers' record keeping processes? I can't find anything useful here or through Google.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I had a few problems with BTP, they responded to my issues in a timely manner and included a fix in the next upgrade. If you log into the website and post a support issue I am pretty sure they will respond. http://support.beertools.com/

Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #28
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Drvr View Post
If it helps any BTP has zero support. None, nada, zip.

Every time I install it on my mac it will run from the disk image. But if I close it and try to run it from the applications folder I get a "Master Database Missing" error.

There is probably some quirk with this software that would be an easy fix. But since they won't respond to my emails, I don't know what else to try.

There are several other complaints I have with the software that I won't go into now. There are things that my $6.99 iphone brewing app will do that BTP won't. Haven't tried BTA though.

I wish I could get my money back for BTP.

I haven't needed their support, but the readme file when you install it explains why that error would occur. With BTP you need to copy the BTP Folder over, not just the app. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Main thing I want in the software I end up with is a good tool for calculating mash temps. It needs to be something I can tweak to reflect the parameters of my equipment and hopefully nail the strike temp. I've had good luck doing this with ProMash but some of it's other attributes leave me wanting so I'm still searching. Admittedly my limited learning curve on BTP and BeerSmith may have something to do with this.

So I plan on taking a look at BA.

Any comments on it's capability in calculating mash temps?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #30
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I use Beer Alchemy and I hit my temp 90% of the time. There is a box for grain temp on the batch editor screen. And if you change that value you will notice the change in the strike water temp on the instructions screen. If needed I can provide a screenshot after work.

Quick Reply