*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Tools Pro vs. Beer Alchemy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 990 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think they'd give you a new license key for your MAC for free.

You guys do know that I have three BTP tutorials right? YouTube - BobbyFromNJ's Channel

Does BTP account for trub loss? Do you mean in the kettle or in the fermenter? I assume you also mean whether it adjusts based on your actual ingredient load like "does it increase your preboil volume requirements if you've got an 9oz leaf hop schedule?". No no, it doesn't do any of that. You have to be a little more forward thinking and increase you finished batch size by a quart if that's your situation. Does any software do this?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think they'd give you a new license key for your MAC for free.

You guys do know that I have three BTP tutorials right? YouTube - BobbyFromNJ's Channel

Does BTP account for trub loss? Do you mean in the kettle or in the fermenter? I assume you also mean whether it adjusts based on your actual ingredient load like "does it increase your preboil volume requirements if you've got an 9oz leaf hop schedule?". No no, it doesn't do any of that. You have to be a little more forward thinking and increase you finished batch size by a quart if that's your situation. Does any software do this?
yep, watched them all a few times.

For the most part, you are where I start all of my quest for brewing enlightenment.

/kneels to the master/

Tim

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Bitter End IPA
Ferm 2: Coffee Stout

On Deck: Colorado Common Cream Ale

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2:

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 30

Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 990 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok now you're getting a little ridiculous.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One of the issues w/ BeerAlchemy of the lack of a recipe DB may be resolved soon, I too have seen that issue. I sent a help request to him. I have a huge list of over 200 recipes I got from www.brewmonkey.com and I'm wanting to import them but a lot of the ingreds don't seem to have equivalents, so I wanted to find out how we can add them. I personally don't know the ingredients enough to do the conversions for all cases, so I'm waiting for a reply. Other than that I'm loving BeerAlchemy

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Any word from the BeerAlchemy guy?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here is the issue with the IBUs in BA:

They are calculated to the final "volume of finished beer" (or "volume at pitching" I can't remeber) so if you are finishing with less volume (as I do) then you have more IBUs....the same iso-alphas in a smaller volume. Really the volume to calclate the IBUs should be "volume at end boil" for full boils or "volume after dilution" for partial. I think this might be the issue with the color too. If you set pre-boil volume and the correct post boil volume and then set all the other volumes the same as the post boil volume, the IBUs are correct.

The BA guys knows of the issue, and I hope it is resolved soon.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Any word on whether the ingredients list is going to grow any time soon? I'm just starting out in brewing, but even to me, the lists look short compared to BTP. I just like BA's interface so much more...

Also, does anyone know how I'd go about adding something like a hard cider (specifically, the recipe for Brendan's Groff) to either app? This would be a good test IMHO, and would quickly separate the two depending on how flexible they were for this recipe.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What ingredients are you looking for BA to have? I do not think I have come across something I wanted to use that was not there.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
What ingredients are you looking for BA to have? I do not think I have come across something I wanted to use that was not there.
Actually, I've been beating the heck out of both apps, and I'm seeing less to complain about with BA. I think my main problem was not completely understanding the import feature, when importing .rec files.

One recipe I found had German Munich LME, but I can't find which extract would be the equivalent in BA. In BTP, I found Munich Liquid from Alexanders. Little things like that. The lack of items seems to be mainly in the depth of Extracts more than any other category.

Edit: grammar

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
Any word on whether the ingredients list is going to grow any time soon? I'm just starting out in brewing, but even to me, the lists look short compared to BTP. I just like BA's interface so much more...

Also, does anyone know how I'd go about adding something like a hard cider (specifically, the recipe for Brendan's Groff) to either app? This would be a good test IMHO, and would quickly separate the two depending on how flexible they were for this recipe.
You can add your own ingredients; I added MO when I didn't see it included in BA. For graff, I'm assuming you'd just add apple juice (or whatever) as an ingredient, but you'd need to know the fermentability of it (for the MO I just copied British pale malt and changed the SRM)

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Quick Reply