Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Software Wishlist - What's on yours?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Boston Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Beer Software Wishlist - What's on yours?

I know folks have their individual preferences as to software, but I was wondering if there was something out there that we all could use, i.e. something that is simply missing on the beer software landscape.

I partly ask because programming is a bit of a hobby for me and I am looking for an interesting project to take up. Rather than just do something for the sake of doing something, I'd like to do something that folks might actually use, that people might get behind, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Vels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would like to see promash modernized.

Cheers from Copenhagen, Denmark
Jakob

Planned: Xmas ale, weitzen, 2 different stouts and a fat tire
Primary 1:
Air
Primary 2:
Air
Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2:
Air
Secondary 3:
Air
Mini 1: Air

Mini 2: Air
Bottle: Chimay GR clone 1, Fat Tire clone, WhIPA, Oat rye stout, Chimay GR clone 2, Deep Dark Night stout, SNPA clone

Old 11-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
howlinowl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dunno.... sure promash's interface is a little dated, but it still does what I need it to do, 'course, I'm still just starting out with all-grain, and am still using other peoples recipes. At least it still runs on my 'puter after I upgraded the operating system to XP, unlike my DVD player software, MP3 player's software, ect.

Maybe instead of upgrading Promash ( and charging the same or more for it), they could slash the price of it.....wouldn't exactly help me as I already own it, but I wonder how many others would bite if the price was lower.

Allan

Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty

On Deck:

On Tap 1: Yuengling Traditional Lager
On Tap 2: Kayumanggi Ale (pronounced "Kai-you-mang-ghe) Tagalog for "Brown"
Various bottles and cans: San Miguel Premium Lager, Flying Dog Mix Pack, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
jdoiv

Recipes 

Yeah, I wish they would update Promash as well. I like how you can adjust a recipe in a brewing session without changing the master recipe.
Also wish it had a better inventory program with cost basis built in. I would really like to track my recipe costs.

Other than that, the only other thing it could do for me is to get up and stir the mash.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Brewer
I know folks have their individual preferences as to software, but I was wondering if there was something out there that we all could use, i.e. something that is simply missing on the beer software landscape.
A Free Software brewing suite. Currently there's QBrew but that is more of a recipe organizer with some calculators than an actual brewing suite.

Quote:
I partly ask because programming is a bit of a hobby for me and I am looking for an interesting project to take up.
Mine too thought my background in programming is web-based. I've been a bit "miffed" by the lack of a Free Software (Free-as-in-freedom) suite that can do more than just store recipes. How about mash water temps? What about sparge volume? Tell me what I can brew with my current stock of stuff. So, I've been quietly trying to teach myself C++ and in specific the QT4 toolkit.

Quote:
I'd like to do something that folks might actually use, that people might get behind
I'm a GNU/Linux user. I know two things about software. Firstly, it's possible for people to build a STRONG, vibrant community around software. The second thing I've learned about software: It's almost impossible to make a tools that everyone wants to use.

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas?
Yep. Download the source to qbrew here and get to hacking!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Quick Reply