Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Brewing Software (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/)
-   -   Beer Smith Mash Volume Question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beer-smith-mash-volume-question-55606/)

daholl01 02-19-2008 03:29 AM

Beer Smith Mash Volume Question
 
Please forgive me I just purchased Beer Smith yesterday and am still trying to figure it out but I have a brew day tomorrow and need help with getting the mash volumes correct.

My batch size is 5 gallons, and my boil volume is 6.41 gallons (based off of my brewing equipment).

Now I am doing a single infusion mash (batch sparge) and Beer Smith is giving me:

11.93 qts. at 167.0 F for 60 min
6.68 qts. at 202.5 F for 10 min

This gives a total of 18.61 qts / 4 = 4.65 gal. I need 6.41 gal and this does not even account for the grain absorption, how do I do this correctly for my brew day tomorrow?

The Pol 02-19-2008 01:48 PM

Did you set up the WATER NEEDED page? That should tell you how much sparge water you will need to hit your target preboil volume. It takes into account dead space in your lauter tun, grain absorption etc... It should provide you with all the number. The ONLY thing I dont like about this program is that it doesnt seem to tell you the TOTAL volume of your mash...

SuperiorBrew 02-19-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daholl01
Please forgive me I just purchased Beer Smith yesterday and am still trying to figure it out but I have a brew day tomorrow and need help with getting the mash volumes correct.

My batch size is 5 gallons, and my boil volume is 6.41 gallons (based off of my brewing equipment).

Now I am doing a single infusion mash (batch sparge) and Beer Smith is giving me:

11.93 qts. at 167.0 F for 60 min
6.68 qts. at 202.5 F for 10 min

This gives a total of 18.61 qts / 4 = 4.65 gal. I need 6.41 gal and this does not even account for the grain absorption, how do I do this correctly for my brew day tomorrow?

It only shows you your sparge water in the brewsheet views only

daholl01 02-19-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
It only shows you your sparge water in the brewsheet views only

Bingo.

Thanks I am still trying to figure out all the things I can do with this program. Any good tutorials out there? Or did you guys just learn from monkeying around with it?

Yooper 02-19-2008 02:51 PM

I learned mostly from monkeying around with it- but I think there IS a tutorial on their website. There is also a "help" when you open the program, but I didn't find that help particularly useful.

GilaMinumBeer 02-19-2008 03:21 PM

My first suggestion would be to click EVERYTHING and get familiar with what is there and get an idea of how to use it. Then virtual brew a few batches to work out the details.

The help file is okay but not very intuitive, IMO.

Gammon N Beer 04-01-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperBrew
I learned mostly from monkeying around with it- but I think there IS a tutorial on their website. There is also a "help" when you open the program, but I didn't find that help particularly useful.

Yes, BeerSmith is a great program but I have noticed two things.

1) Much of the help documentation is set up to, "sell" the program.

2) The help documentation is almost designed for people that already know what to do.

It would help if the developers simply talked to and use language and examples for those of us that are new brewers.

SuperiorBrew 04-01-2008 04:45 AM

There is a ton of info including a forum, blog, FAQ's & tutorials on their website and they also are a HBT member if you need to contact them with questions we cant answer for you here.

Gammon N Beer 04-01-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
There is a ton of info including a forum, blog, FAQ's & tutorials on their website and they also are a HBT member if you need to contact them with questions we cant answer for you here.

Yes, and the tools you mention are getting better all the time. BeerSmith's developers are updating all the website materials, adding new support options and of course upgrading the software as well.

BeerSmith 04-02-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer
Yes, and the tools you mention are getting better all the time. BeerSmith's developers are updating all the website materials, adding new support options and of course upgrading the software as well.

Thanks!
I'm working on a set of screen-shot video tutorials that will be available on the web site in a few weeks. I think the video will do a better job explaining things than a whole bunch of help pages.

Cheers!
Brad (aka BeerSmith)


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.