Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Line Length and Pressure Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #71
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post
Request a little patience for a newby: what is the volume of CO2? Is this the volume of my CO2 tank? If so, aren't compressed gasses typically measured in weight, not volume? Bottom line, it looks like a great tool, I'm just not sure how to use it because I can't figure out what my input should be for CO2 volume. Sorry for the novice questions...
Volume of CO2 is the amount of co2 dissolved in solution (beer). AKA, an English Mild will have less volumes than an American light Lager. AKA less carbonation.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #72
Josh1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Volume of CO2 is the amount of co2 dissolved in solution (beer). AKA, an English Mild will have less volumes than an American light Lager. AKA less carbonation.
Now that makes a whole more sense. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #73
Anguslow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1 View Post
Now, for any of you that want the CORRECT length of hose based upon the principles of physics, mechanical engineering, and fluid mechanics...

l = 1800*d/Q²*(p-0.44h),

where:
l = hose length (ft)
d = hose ID (in)
Q = flow rate (gpm)
p = gage pressure of barrel (psi)
h = height difference between middle of keg and faucet (ft)

So if you've got a keg that you'd like at 12psi, the faucet is 2ft above the middle of the keg, you're using 3/16" tubing, and you'd like a flow rate of 0.7gpm:

l = 1800*0.1875/0.7²*(12-0.44*2) = 9.5ft.

(If the faucet is above the keg, h is positive; if the keg is above the faucet, h is negative.)
Perhaps I am having a complete brainfart, but I am not seeing the same results with this equation to the excel sheet. Plus, no matter how I order the equation, I do not get 9.5 ft. Using the equations available on other sites and entering the numbers provided above, it works out to be 3.7 ft to 4 ft (depending on the equation), which does match the excel sheet. What am I not seeing here? Can someone order the equation so that I can see what is in the numerator and denominator? Finally, there is a box after the 'd', is this a power (2, or 3 perhaps)?

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #74
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I don't have the excel sheet in front of me and haven't looked at it in quite some time. However, my guess is the difference in flow rate. Most commercial setups plan for a flow rate of 1 gallon per minute which is a bit strong for most homebrew setups. Don't know if the excel sheet is set up with 1 gallon as the default or not, but more than likely that is the culprit.

I just ran a scenario based upon your number. When I use a flow rate of .7 I get 9.7 feet of line recommended. When I use a flow rate of 1 I get 4.75 feet of line recommended. That's assuming a diameter of .1875" line.

If you'd like you can shoot me your email via pm. I have a kegging calculator/how to built into my Brew Chart. It's not in my published version as I'm still upgrading, but I'd be willing to send it to you ahead of time so you can see what I'm talking about. My kegging calculator allows the user to control the flow rate and diameter of line so that they can dial into their system better.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #75
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguslow View Post
Finally, there is a box after the 'd', is this a power (2, or 3 perhaps)?

Thanks.
Shame that it has taken this long for someone to reply to your question about the "square" Angus. Since the formula is dealing with flows through a circular tube I would hazard a guess that the "square" is actually meant to be the symbol for squared (i.e. ^2 as you would enter it in excel). I think the formating of the forum probably didn't like using superscript and just blanked it out.
Hope it works out for you.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #76
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

uh, CP responded to him within an hour

Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #77
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
uh, CP responded to him within an hour
Sorry, should of been more specific about the lack of reply for what the "square" in the formula was... hang on, my reply was specific about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Shame that it has taken this long for someone to reply to your question about the "square" Angus.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #78
Rcole
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPooley4 View Post
So say it that way without the unnecessary bs. He'd either agree and unprotect, offer the explanation above that he doesn't have the password anymore, or do nothing. Either way it's his work that he spent his time on and offered here for free for all to use. Those that don't like it or disagree with him can just make their own on their own time and offer it here for free for all to use. All the information is readily accessible to anyone that wants to take the time to do so.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #79
Bruin
Recipes 

As another poster said, wow, gonna need a lot of line for my Heff! Regarding different lengths of lines for different styles: Changing line at the tower every time I change styles will be a PITA, so I'm planning on changing the length of the line by splicing on or removing a section of line to meet the line length requirement. I'm going to use some sort of nipple to make the connection. I assume I add the length of the nipple to the shank length? Being that it is a constriction at this point and offers resistance it should be taken into account, no?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #80
dubuddaman
Recipes 

Ok for every one on here doing this calculator, it isnt much but if you are doing a home brew/ kegerator a foot of restriction is alot. That equals 3 pounds of restriction in the system. So every 4" of 3/16" restrication line is equal to 1 pound of restriction in the line.
Also I do understand why you want to measure from the middle of the keg?? Where is the beer being sucked from?? Not the middle. It is being sucked from the bottom. Micro Matic is the only maker of these stems and valves, and you want to measure from the bottom of the keg to the faucet.

Quick Reply