Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Alchemy vs iBrewmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
WestCoastCurt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Alchemy vs iBrewmaster

Know this question has been asked before in years past, but I am hoping to get an updated view point.

Looking to purchase an app for my iPad and desktop (both mac) that can be used as a tool to assist with brewing. Beer Alchemy and iBrewMaster seem to be the top two choices from what I can gather. Both seem to have their positives and negatives, and i am having a hard time figuring out where to put my money. If you have any experience with either, positive or negative, please let me know.

Thanks

-Curt-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
RSBMark
Recipes 

I have an iPhone/iPad app (Beerulator) that works for waters amounts in all-grain brewing and for force carbonation. It's pretty simple and handy. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
kyleslattery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use BeerAlchemy on both my Mac and iPhone, and it's pretty good. The iBrewMaster interface just seems way too cluttered and confusing.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
WestCoastCurt
Recipes 

One of the things I have noticed about ibrewmaster is that there seem to be a lot of recipes for it from Northern Brewer. Have you found the same (not necessarily from northern brew) to be true about beer alchemy?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
HopHeadHarry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im a new brewer and love iBrewmaster. I think it simple to use ( check out the more section for nice iverview and tuitorials. It does great calculations for you, has brewing timers to let you know when to add hops,etc during boil, and schedules for when to move or bottle. Well worth the low price to me.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use BeerAlchemy, and like it a lot. I've been in contact with Steve from Kent Place Software about some needed features, and he says that BeerAlchemy 2 will be out later this year with a lot of improvements. Not sure if that helps you now, but I can't wait for BA2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I use BeerAlchemy on a Mac and BeerAlchemy Touch on an iPod touch. I really like BeerAlchemy, except for a couple of shortcomings, like units handling weirdness and the lack of an adjustment for dilution of the mineral profile. BeerAlchemy Touch is less useful to me. The units are even more obtuse (salts measured in oz/gallon, srsly?) but it's nice to have my records synced on the iPod.

BeerAlchemy has a free trial.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
bmickey
Recipes 

I got my new Ipad3 last night and bought Beer Alchemy. I was able to take my BeerSmith recipes and export them as BeerXML and them import then easily into Beer Alchemy.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I downloaded iBrewmaster (stupid iName...) a couple of weeks ago, and have been very impressed. Much better than the much-advertised but constantly crashing BrewPal. I haven't tried BeerAlchemy, but iBrewmaster seems to be a very good extension to BeerSmith on the desktop.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I also just downloaded iBrewmaster a few days ago. I just built my first recipe and I really like it. Its easy once you figure out that you have to click edit before you can do anything. It was a lot faster than when I use Beer Tools Pro on my mac. Scaling recipes is simple too. There are too many things hidden in the depths of BTP and Beersmith that I could never find.

I can't speak for BeerAlchemy, but the screen shots of both lead me to choose ibrew. I like how everything is on one screen. It may look cluttered but its nice to not have to dig through tabs to find anything.

Quick Reply