Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Alchemy Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
berebrando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Are you sure your sparge volume is the problem and not boil off? Are you coming up over or under? Have you checked your thermometers?
I had originally posted my concerns here, but have since dialed it in. I used the mash instructions this past weekend and it worked out great (save for a degree or two).

I was originally concerned because (a) beeralchemy was telling me to mash out with 5.4 gallons boiling, and (b) brewpal was telling me to raise the temperature of the grain bed with 3.9 gallons at 201F. The two didn't add up, but it clicked: the beeralchemy mash out is calculated with the entire mash volume included, and the brewpal sparge is calculated with the mash volume drained to the kettle. Once I realized this, everything was smooth. My mentality just needed to switch over from brewpal's sparge schedule to beeralchemy's mashout.

I am going to run in to a problem with mash volume, though - added 5.4 boiling gallons to my mash tun nearly maxed out my half-bbl tun last weekend. It would be nice if beeralchemy had an option to switch from a mashout to a no-mashout schedule, in order to brew bigger beers.

I need to calculate the thermal mass of my tun (converted 15.5 gallon keg) and I think I'll be totally dialed in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply