Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer alchemy 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
2DogsBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been using Beer Alchemy since Steve started with the first version. Very happy with it. Use the iOS version, as well. I've used BeerSmith2 & like that, as well. Both have their strengths. When the day is finished, I notice myself using Beer Alchemy more.

I sure am gonna miss her....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I currently use both BeerAlchemy 2 and iBrewMaster. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, BeerAlchemy would be my perfect iPad brewing app if it wasn't for one exclusion, Timers/Alarms for mash and boil/hop additions. This exclusion is the only reason I currently use iBrewMaster as my main brewing app. However, I mirror everything I do in iBrewMaster to BeerAlchemy in hopes that someday soon it will include the timer/alarm function. iBrewMaster is very hard to master, the UI is fragmented and not well thought out in my opinion and you'll definitely need to spend a few days with the app and also refer to the manual many times. Looks like a hard-core windows or linux user designed this app. On the other hand, BeerAlchemy is very much Mac like, the workflow is easy to understand and use and not fragmented at all and the layout logical. So, to the authors of BeerAlchemy, please add timers and alarms from the mashing schedule and hop additions to your wonderful app.

Jim

Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop232
so, to the authors of beeralchemy, please add timers and alarms from the mashing schedule and hop additions to your wonderful app.

Jim

+1

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
2DogsBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ragtop - Gotta agree with you. I do the exact same thing b/c of the timer issue. Use iBrewMaster due to its timer features. Would love to see this in the iPhone version of Beer Alchemy 2.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts

Sorry for the lack of computer knowledge, but if anyone could help me sync this up between my Iphone and iMac I'd be very appreciative. I've got the program installed on both devices, and was under the impression that they'd just sync up automatically whenever the were both on the same wifi connection. That didn't happen...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
2DogsBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On your iMac: under Tools, go to Sync
On your iPhone: go to Sync

Follow instructions on iMac thereafter....

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #17
Demus
Recipes 

Ok, so I now have BA2 on my iMac and iPhone 5. I wish there was a manual at least on line as most of the functions need some explanation.

-The water for example, is there a way to make it estimate mash PH based on grain bill and water parameters? Seems like it stays at 5.2 no matter what you input.

-Also, for salt additions it seems to calculate based on initial boil volume of the batch, not infusion/sparge water. Is there a way to make it calculate based on how much water you are actually preparing?

-Is there any instructions anywhere on line? It seems like a great program but without knowing how to use it I'm not sure how much it will actually help me...

Thanks Beer Alchemy users!!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus
Ok, so I now have BA2 on my iMac and iPhone 5. I wish there was a manual at least on line as most of the functions need some explanation.

-The water for example, is there a way to make it estimate mash PH based on grain bill and water parameters? Seems like it stays at 5.2 no matter what you input.

-Also, for salt additions it seems to calculate based on initial boil volume of the batch, not infusion/sparge water. Is there a way to make it calculate based on how much water you are actually preparing?

-Is there any instructions anywhere on line? It seems like a great program but without knowing how to use it I'm not sure how much it will actually help me...

Thanks Beer Alchemy users!!
No instructions
I don't believe it estimates pH - you can measure pH and record adjustments, but it doesn't tell you what to do
I am curious about the salt additions too. It has you put all the addition into the strike water, is that what most people do?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Demus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312

No instructions
I don't believe it estimates pH - you can measure pH and record adjustments, but it doesn't tell you what to do
I am curious about the salt additions too. It has you put all the addition into the strike water, is that what most people do?
Any water that goes into the system should be your chosen water profile. This much more than the preboil amount due to grain absorption and any extra you make for fudge factor. The program doesn't give mash in water though. I guess there's no harm on me bumping up the preboil value to my total water made for the batch....

Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus

Any water that goes into the system should be your chosen water profile. This much more than the preboil amount due to grain absorption and any extra you make for fudge factor. The program doesn't give mash in water though. I guess there's no harm on me bumping up the preboil value to my total water made for the batch....
Can you explain what you are going to do? I've just been following the brew day instructions which have me adding my full salt addition to strike water. For example my recipe calls for 4.5 gal strike water out of 8.5 gal total water for the batch. I'm adding 7 grams gypsum which according to BA will increase my calcium from 20 ppm to 80 ppm.

According to BA I just add all 7 grams to strike water and am then done with my salts...

Quick Reply