Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Any Compelling Reasons to Give up on Homebrew Formulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
GMesick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Any Compelling Reasons to Give up on Homebrew Formulator?

I've been using Homebrew Formulator (for Mac) as my brewing software for a couple years. I know it isn't supported any more, and it may not be worth the effort for anyone to search for it and adopt it now.

But as an existing user of it, I am wondering if there is something to be gained by leaving it behind and adopting different brewing software. Those who has used Homebrew Formulator and left for something else--what did you gain?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've never heard of it but there is Beertoolspro and Beeralchemy for the MAC.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The mere fact that you question this is compelling reason enough, methinks.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
GMesick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
The mere fact that you question this is compelling reason enough, methinks.
Got me. I'm open--and perhaps even hoping to be convinced. But I'd like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge of this thing and whatever they use now on their Mac.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
kozydogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMesick View Post
Got me. I'm open--and perhaps even hoping to be convinced. But I'd like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge of this thing and whatever they use now on their Mac.
I use Homebrew Formulator and have been for the last 4 years that i've been all-grain hombrewing. I like it a lot. It's simple, accurate, and FREE. It has all the features I'd ever need. I tried a demo of BeerTools and did not like it at all. I did not like the format.

My only complaint with HBF is the descriptions/names of certain grains. There (from what i've seen on other programs) seems to be a slight (and i do mean slight) limitation on the type of grains the program offers. Other that that, i love it and would not switch.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
GMesick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozydogg View Post
I use Homebrew Formulator and have been for the last 4 years that i've been all-grain hombrewing. I like it a lot. It's simple, accurate, and FREE. It has all the features I'd ever need. I tried a demo of BeerTools and did not like it at all. I did not like the format.

My only complaint with HBF is the descriptions/names of certain grains. There (from what i've seen on other programs) seems to be a slight (and i do mean slight) limitation on the type of grains the program offers. Other that that, i love it and would not switch.
kozydogg--
So, for your money, the recipe/calculations/projections are pretty accurate, eh? Then there probably isn't anything better--or at least not worth the cost.

When I started using HBF, I thought "wow! These guys deserve some of my money. I can't believe this is free!"

But I get the itch for something new from time to time. And this is my attempt to check myself against reality. I also like HBF. I just wondered if I was missing something. I don't mean for this to be some kind of veiled commercial for HBF--I am genuinely willing to be convinced. But here you are, reminding me of why I still use it and like it. Thanks.

Quick Reply