Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Another iPhone app- BIABCalc (Free)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
Fair play to you, I gave it a good test today and no glitches that I could find. USA 2 metric and back all perfect. I'm doing a BIAB on sat so I'll report back after that
Great! Thanks for all the beta testing you've done!
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ok, one more (?) question for the OP or other BIAB'ers. I've not gotten into BIAB yet.. but have bought the bag and it will likely be my next brew once I return from vacation in early Aug.

My Kettle Volume is 7 gallons.. but, I want to end up with a 5 G batch. When I plug my kettle size into BIABCalc, I get 25.84 qts water at 160.7*F using 13# grain. Does this seem right? What if, say, I wanted to do a 6 G batch and had an 8 or 10G pot? How does BIABCalc know what the batch size is.. I see no place for that inuput.

Be kind.. I'm really just an extract w/grains brewer at this point. It may be obvious.. but, I'm in the learnin stage

Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
Ok, one more (?) question for the OP or other BIAB'ers. I've not gotten into BIAB yet.. but have bought the bag and it will likely be my next brew once I return from vacation in early Aug.

My Kettle Volume is 7 gallons.. but, I want to end up with a 5 G batch. When I plug my kettle size into BIABCalc, I get 25.84 qts water at 160.7*F using 13# grain. Does this seem right? What if, say, I wanted to do a 6 G batch and had an 8 or 10G pot? How does BIABCalc know what the batch size is.. I see no place for that inuput.

Be kind.. I'm really just an extract w/grains brewer at this point. It may be obvious.. but, I'm in the learnin stage
Good question, Bill.
I have a 7.5 gallon pot, and if I mash more than about 15 pounds or so, I actually end up with less than 5 gallons at the end of the boil, and need to add more.

What BIABCalc does is maximize the amount of liquid possible, both for a thinner mash, and to avoid having to top off at the end. It assumes that for most BIABers, they will end up with less wort than they need.

It isn't a problem unless, as you say, you're doing 5 gallons of mild in a 10 gal pot. I'm guessing most BIABers are going to be in a smaller kettle, but I am going to have to figure out how to deal with this, whether just warning people so they don't end up with 15 gallons of 1.008 wort, or something else.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
Maybe I misunderstood your request but most use quarts because gallons are to large of a scale when figuring water to grist ratio.
The way I do it is I use the Calculator (from BIABinfo) to determine how much water I need for the mash accounting for water absorption by the grain, the boil-off rate, and the batch size. Then I fill the keggle until I hit that volume using the sightglass from from Bobby_M to guage the volume. These are callibrated in gallons. So using quarts is fine, though I need to then convert quarts to gallons when collecting the mash water in the keggle.

Love to hear if others do it differently, but I thought quarts was more of a conventional mash-tun thing as I thought most BIAB is done with full-volume no sparge.

Thanks for a great app.

Quick Reply