Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Another iPhone app- BIABCalc (Free)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another iPhone app- BIABCalc (Free)

I made a free iPhone app based on my Brew in a Bag calculator. I found for BIAB, I needed the reverse of what most calculators did, so I made it, first for web, and then for iPhone.

Given the volume of your mash tun and the amount of grain, it calculates how much water to heat up. Before, I would always heat up too much water, and it would overflow when I put the grain in, making a mess. Now, the grain raises the level to exactly the right level.

It also calculates the strike temp, to help you hit your mash temps.

Check it out on the App Store and let me know what you think!

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
OhCrap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw
I made a free iPhone app based on my Brew in a Bag calculator. I found for BIAB, I needed the reverse of what most calculators did, so I made it, first for web, and then for iPhone.

Given the volume of your mash tun and the amount of grain, it calculates how much water to heat up. Before, I would always heat up too much water, and it would overflow when I put the grain in, making a mess. Now, the grain raises the level to exactly the right level.

It also calculates the strike temp, to help you hit your mash temps.

Check it out on the App Store and let me know what you think!
Downloaded, it looks great & I'll try it out this weekend. It would be great if it was in litres & centigrade aswell but that's only a small thing

Edit: I ran the numbers against this w/ends planned recipe and damn close .1•f deference. Makes the calcs easy to do (other than converting to metric ). Good job
3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cheers +1 on the metric units. Again cheers

Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice calculator, the sliders are pita though, it takes a number of tries to get spot on. Maybe go to keyed in entry or a +/- button to increment the values.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
Nice calculator, the sliders are pita though, it takes a number of tries to get spot on. Maybe go to keyed in entry or a +/- button to increment the values.
Agreed- I have some ideas to make this a bit better. Stay tuned!
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale

Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
Downloaded, it looks great & I'll try it out this weekend. It would be great if it was in litres & centigrade aswell but that's only a small thing

Edit: I ran the numbers against this w/ends planned recipe and damn close .1•f deference. Makes the calcs easy to do (other than converting to metric ). Good job
Thanks! Metric is on the todo list.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Anyone use this over the weekend? Any feedback on accuracy?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
cswest
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to use this for my first 5 gallon BIAB batch on June 30th for a club brew. I've been playing around with it and I agree that getting the sliders to the exact number you're trying to enter is difficult. Other than that it looks good, thanks for the app!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm working on adding metric- are any of you interested in beta testing that? I'd like to make sure that I get units and conversions done right. PM me your email address if you're interested.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
OhCrap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Gave it a quick test. Sent email regarding conversions.

3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

Quick Reply