Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Android BrewAide-Brew Day Assistant- Free

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #71
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Question for the Users of BrewAide:

I have been looking/implementing the ability to handle the default recipe file from BeerSmith (as requested by a few people). Here is the solution I am determining is the most efficient/capable: I currently have it to where if you select a recipe file that has more than one recipe in it the app loads them and gives you a popup to select which recipe to view. Then shows that recipe.

The question is with lots of recipes saved the amount of time it takes to load the recipes becomes quite long, for example with 30 recipes its taking my tablet (which would take longer on phones) about 5 seconds to load it. Is this feature still worth using? Now im working on making it so once the file is loaded (either on startup or once selected, if you select it again it wont reload it and already have it in memory)

Let me know, as I wont release the update until I get a clear decision. This will not effect the ability to open single recipe exports and will still work the same on those and BeerXML (which does anyone know if you can export multiple BeerXML recipes?)

Thank You
personally, I don't find it that big of a deal to export recipes in single files. it takes about 15 seconds to export and save in a dropbox location. that list gets updated each time you tell the app to use dropbox for the location. to me the nice thing about this app is that it's small and fast. Would it be nice to never have to export a file again? sure, but does not having it make this app not worth using. HELL NO. Right now I use BrewAide on my phone. I have over 100 recipes in beer smith that would take forever on my phone to load. With the current configuration of Brewaide I selected the most often used recipes or ones that are planned for brewing this year and exported them. I can always add more to the dropbox folder as I need to.

This part might step on some toes around here but I feel it needs to be said. BrewAide is a tool to use in conjunction with not only Beer Smith but also other programs that save in BeerXML. It isn't designed to replace them.

It adds the ability to check on your ingredients list, it adds timers, it lets you record some basic info at the time of brewing. It helps by providing the basic needs during the brew itself. It however should NOT be thought of as a replacement for the program you use to create the recipes in the first place. Constantly asking for hundreds of feature to be added are taking it away from its initial purpose which will not only slow the app down, but can introduce countless bugs to a program that works great in it's current form. Not to mention that the person doing the programming is an ACTIVE DUTY member of the military. He isn't a big company with a lot of programmers sitting there waiting to code in feature requests.

Use it like it is intended and it's a great app and does the job of 2 other apps I was using before (Brewzor and OI Countdown). Start expecting it to do everything that beer smith can do with the speed and ease of beer smith and you'll be disappointed. For that you'll have to wait for Brad Smith to make the android app for beer smith.

Yes you can export multiple recipes in BeerXML. although I have have had limited success with apps that would accept BeerXML with multiple recipes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #72
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

While I agree with you for the most part there are a couple things that im considering:

1. This doesnt take away any function or slow down the overall speed of the app, what it will slow down is opening of files with multiple recipes, if you choose to export your single recipes everything will function the same and be just as fast

2. This does allow for a nice feature that will enable people to make changes quickly and not have to worry about multiple exports (which is nice if you are making changes a couple quick changes on brewday, which i tend to do)

But I do agree and want to stress that this is a recipe reader and not a replacement to BeerSmith or any other software for editing recipes. So as of now I have the feature in there with the warning that it will increase load time for files with multiple recipes. But doesnt change the speed of doing it the normal way.

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Sweet glad its working for you now, hope you are enjoying it

So After a little over a month since I released it has a decent number of installs (around 500) but Im hoping to increase that number, anybody have any free/really cheap ideas on how to increase the number of installs?

One of the big things is for those using it to rate it, as the more positive reviews the higher on the search results and the more likely for people to find it. Trying to get it higher on the list because currently the older apps are taking over the first page of results, and they havent been updated in over a year for the most part
I have given this the 5-star rating as soon as I downloaded and installed a few weeks ago. One idea that got me to check out brewshuffle.com was an ad on the right side of my Facebook that popped up. All it said was "Share your Homebrew!" It sounded interesting to me so I clicked on it, read about BrewShuffle and then signed up. It's a cool way to list what homebrews you have available to share, people can see where you are located, then you can swap homebrews with people close to you. I'm not sure how cheap it was for this guy to advertise like that on Facebook but might be worth checking out.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #74
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I appreciate the integration of the recipe into the brew timer. In addition, I like the ability to view the recipe for shopping purposes. Finally, I really appreciate the constant updates and the hard work put into this app.

Although I don't see myself using the default recipe file from Beersmith, I do see how that feature will be appealing to some. I will continue to export my recipes into Dropbox as I need them.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #75
TheTooth
Recipes 

Thanks for updating the brew steps with the brix readings! That, with the timers, should make my next brew day easier. Looking forward to using it to brew a Doppelbock next weekend!

One recipe at a time is cool with me. Exporting a recipe to my dropbox folder is literally two clicks for me in Beersmith after I finish my recipe, so it's hardly a big effort. It's way easier than manually setting up timers in some other android app and having to convert gravity to brix in yet another app.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #76
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I agree that even if it is very slow it is still better than nothing (seems like maybe you could optimize it and parse out the recipe names etc..) Obviously you wouldn't want to implement anything that makes it change how it currently opens a single recipe.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #77
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am missing something but how do I get my recipes from Beersmith into the drop box folder ? I thought I was supposed to go into Beersmith and select - File > Change Document Directories > Apps > Brewbuddy. When I go into that folder I don't even see any recipes.

Edit - I see file names recipe, recipe1, recipe 2 etc. I guess I have to create a file in the Brewbuddy folder called recipes ? I did that but what are all the other files in that folder ? How do I just get the recipes from Beersmith ?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #78
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
I am missing something but how do I get my recipes from Beersmith into the drop box folder ? I thought I was supposed to go into Beersmith and select - File > Change Document Directories > Apps > Brewbuddy. When I go into that folder I don't even see any recipes.

Edit - I see file names recipe, recipe1, recipe 2 etc. I guess I have to create a file in the Brewbuddy folder called recipes ? I did that but what are all the other files in that folder ? How do I just get the recipes from Beersmith ?

you have to have a drop box folder Apps\Brewbuddy\Recipes then in beersmith. right click a recipe, select export, then given it a name and export it to the drop box folder. for each recipe that you want to export do the same thing. one at a time for now. remember that each time you make a change to the recipe you need to export it again

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #79
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Implementing the change to include all BS recipes while using 1 bsmx file is a benefit IMHO. I have about 150 or so recipes in my BS, so it may take a LONG time for me to open it. This would have saved me some trouble last week though.

I exported a recipe, went to the LHBS to get some grain, opened the app....I had exported the wrong recipe. That was a bit of a snag. Also it would be nice as I'm in situations where someone is interested in the recipe of the beer they are trying. If I could pull it right up on my phone, that would be great.

One thing I would suggest though. If it could be implemented to change what directory in dropbox is used, that would go well with the other change. If that change isn't implemented, I would still need to export my recipes everytime I add a new one. That or change beersmith to a different location. I already have BS set to use my dropbox to save things

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #80
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

So Im just doing the final checks on the feature, should be working.

Quote:
If it could be implemented to change what directory in dropbox is used
Ill look into it and see how easy it is to change that, the Dropbox feature comes with some limitation set by dropbox and one is the app folder, not sure how hard or if even possible to look at a different folder but Ill add it to the list, for now you will need to do one of two things, export all recipes to the app folder, or change the default beersmith folder to the app folder

Edit:
Another possible plus to making this feature now is it might allow easier integration with the cloud service once I start working on that. Still waiting on it to officially go live and need to figure some stuff out, but Im assuming Brad is probably storing the recipes on there in a similar fashion so having the ability to read multiple recipes from a single bsmx file might come in handy

Edit Again:
After doing some research on the Dropbox capability, unless I request the ability for my app to have full access to individuals dropbox the ability to select the folder wont be allowed. As this is not something that dropbox approves easily I dont foresee a reason to try and get it, as the app works without it. Also it would change the way it accesses files currently on dropbox which would confuse and cause problems with an update.
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Quick Reply