Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Unsweetened Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sorry for the apparent bump. I conferred with the hubster who brews beer, and we opted to try simply charging it with a dose of corn sugar after racking it to the bottling bucket. We then put it in three one-gallon carboys and two champagne bottles. As we are leaving for a 10-day vacation on Friday, we hope to find out if the yeast is still functioning or not. If not, this batch will probably go down the drain, as I can't imagine it contains enough alcohol to be safe at this point.

Input much appreciated!

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
drj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've found that you really have to watch for the yeast freshness. Wouldn't hurt to add more yeast if you are adding simple syrup. My only other guess is that there were no additives in the raspberries or the apple cider. That could have retarded the yeast action. I have had to repitch other brews on occasion and had the end product work out ok. A different yeast that has become my go to instead of CDB is premier cuvee. Seems to to be a hardier yeast and will go to a dryness in the range of CDB. PC is a little more temperature tolerant as well.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I rechecked the SG and there was no fermentation. None. A five gallon bottle of cider and raspberry that's been sitting for a month is a devils brew of bacteria. It went down the drain.

I used Oregon Farms raspberry purée and fresh cider with no additives. Sometimes you just get a bad batch of yeast. It bubbled some during its early days, certainly, but when the FG and the OG are the same, after a month, you have a fail. *shrug*. The Apfelwine looks awesome, though. Looking forward to that.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Quick Reply