Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Toffee Apple Pear Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #21
pomsdownunder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi,

So I have now racked my brew after reaching an OG of about 1.010, and it has been sitting in the cube since the weekend.

I will be kegging this one, so won’t be using any priming sugar. What will I need to do to make this taste like the Brothers cider when serving it out of the keg, as I’m guessing that it will lack sweetness?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brothers is a heavily manufactured taste so its probably very hard to emulate, but this stuff tastes good in its own right. Are you sure your cider has stopped fermenting? I've recently discovered it ferments quite dry - you can stabilize and force carb and backsweeten, or add fizzy apple pop/soda in the glass

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
pomsdownunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWalker View Post
Brothers is a heavily manufactured taste so its probably very hard to emulate, but this stuff tastes good in its own right. Are you sure your cider has stopped fermenting? I've recently discovered it ferments quite dry - you can stabilize and force carb and backsweeten, or add fizzy apple pop/soda in the glass
Hi Rob,

Just checked it again with my hydrometer and it looks like it's still alive, so I'll continue to monitor it for the next few days.

You mentioned 'stabilize, force carb and backsweeten' - how do I do that?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So I racked the cider to the secondary two weeks ago. I racked it to the keg and took my final reading: .099. It tastes okay but I clearly missed the mark with the honey boil. I should have cooked it longer. Swmbo says its pretty good but not sweet at all. I then added insult to injury and added the vanilla extract. Note to self, less is more. I am adding a half gallon of apple juice to back sweeten and reduce the vanilla kick. All in all it's pretty good but if you don't get the heated honey right, all you will have is a pretty tart cider.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #25
trufflz
Recipes 

Just finished my batch! Tweaked the recipe a bit and completely forgot to add the vanilla. The end result has a nice kick and is toasty warm.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
jeremydgreat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DA View Post
So I racked the cider to the secondary two weeks ago. I racked it to the keg and took my final reading: .099. It tastes okay but I clearly missed the mark with the honey boil. I should have cooked it longer. Swmbo says its pretty good but not sweet at all. I then added insult to injury and added the vanilla extract. Note to self, less is more. I am adding a half gallon of apple juice to back sweeten and reduce the vanilla kick. All in all it's pretty good but if you don't get the heated honey right, all you will have is a pretty tart cider.
This is totally my experience too! I got a .098 reading- it will probably finish at .099 The stuff is really strong. I'm not sure what to do with this stuff. Maybe add in a tablet to kill off any remaining yeast, and then back sweeten with apple juice? That will make it difficult to gauge as far as bottle-carbing goes. I don't know.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #27
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like it. I kegged the stuff and added 1/2 gallon of apple juice. The fridge temp should keep any yeast at bay.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #28
Four
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is the second recipe i've seen today that calls for heating / burning honey . . . I make mead and never use heat, none at all. All my mead buddies say that heating honey kills a ton of flavor . . . thoughts?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Greghark
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The last post brings up a good point. I'd like to try this by heating done brown sugar for the caramelized toffee flavor and adding some honey when it cools to really make out flavorful.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #30
lex990
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

May have to try this for my first cider. Never drank one in my life. Why not make one

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Quick Reply