Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Toffee Apple Pear Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
pomsdownunder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi, I’m new here, and have been looking for a toffee apple cider recipe for ages. This one sounds great!

This will be my first attempt at brewing cider – anything that I need to be aware of, or watch out for? I’m fairly used to brewing beer, but am by no means an expert!

I was planning on up-scaling this recipe to make about 20 litres. This sounds like a really stupid question, but would I just multiply all ingredients by five – i.e. would I actually use 20 litres of AJ, as I have seen a few comments regarding the use of cider to top the “mixture” up? Also, will I really need five packets of yeast, or would one be sufficient? I normally only use one packet for 20-odd litres of beer...

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You just need the one packet of yeast.
The honey is relative to what percentage you're aiming for - you want at least some, but I reakon 1kg would probably suffice in a batch that size. There isn't really much to watch out for, just don't boil any of the fruit, make sure your equipment is sterile and realise that it will smell like farts when it's fermenting. You're probably looking at 18 litres of apple juice. Some people make cider from concentrate, but the 2 I've tried from it, I tipped away...

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
pomsdownunder
Recipes 

Thanks Rob, that was very helpful

Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
pomsdownunder
Recipes 

Hi again, I just have another query on this one. How much honey should I use if I want to reduce the final level of alcohol in the cider from ~11% to roughly half that amount?

Is there some kind of calculation for how much sugar produces how much alcohol?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
voicelex
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicelex View Post
Just burnt-up a batch of this tonight. I scaled to 3 gallons and didn't even come close to being able to fit all of that in a 3 gallon jug. 4L is more than a gallon plus the 500g of honey takes up some serious space as does a can of pears!

I also (obviously) had little confidence in the mixing of the honey and cider so I didn't even bother with an SG reading. As it is, in case of krausen (though Motrachet is usually fine with no headspace), I jammed in at about 2L under having a full 3 gallon carboy with 1500grams of honey and 2 gallons of cider and 3, ~14oz cans of pears. - I will be topping off with cider after I'm sure it won't blow the top.

Any others brew this with careful measurements? I'd love to have a more reliable OG estimate or feedback about actual volume.

All-in-all, it smelled amazing while I was 'burning' the honey and the pears tasted great!

Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to taste!
Anyone?... :'(

Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I put this together two weeks ago. I wanted to make closer to 4 gallons so I took the recipe and x4 on everything but the yeast. Converted the liters to gallons and grams to ounces. I used 4 gallons of organic juice, 4 cans of pears, and about 70 ounces of honey ( it was much cheaper to buy a 100 oz jug so I estimated the pour). After the burn and cool down, I had to add about a half gallon of water to bring the Sg to 1.060. I used one pack of Nottingham and it smells like farts as in the previous posts. I will rack it into the secondary next week and post the gravity then. I am patiently eager to see this through.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

pomsdownunder Likes This 
Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
voicelex
Recipes 

I'm bottling this today. The gravity is just under 1.000. I wish I was able to mix the honey and cider more during brewing so that I could have a proper OG reading.

Not sure how 1.060 or 1.010 were attained. : \

Edit*

I put it into beersmith with some guesswork via the forums and logic and got this:

OG: 1.080
(for the cider I used the Fruit - Apple (sweet) selection and put in 16lbs (8 pounds per gallon according to this)
(for the pears I ended up using 1lb 15oz and entered it via the Fruit - Pear item)

Using Red Star Champagne (I'm assuming this is Montrachet) and changing the yield to 100% I got an estimated FG of .992 which is right about where I ended up.

What do y'all think?

Old 10-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
pomsdownunder
Recipes 

Had a bash at this today; just waiting for it to start bubbling now.

I'm going to keg this, so wont be using any priming sugar. Am I going to need to back sweeten it? By the way, don't really know what back sweetening is, but have seen it mentioned in a few cider recipes. How do I do that?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #19
jeremydgreat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all. So, I followed the recipe, caramelized my honey (smelled amazing) and blended up my pear halves. I doubled everything in the extract recipe because I'm making 2 gallons.

I took a hydrometer reading and registered a 1.074 Yikes! I added a little more apple juice and some water to 2.5 gallons before pitching my yeast. But this is going to be some strong stuff I guess?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I overshot the sugar quantities truth be told...but its easily fixed. 1) enjoy it strong 2) backsweeten and pasteurize or 3) add appleade in the glass for sweetness and less abv, 4) kill and keg, then force carb.

I will give this some time and fix this post later...I assure you its awfully tasty though

Quick Reply