Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Southern Sweet Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #21
Wyldjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks, I had a hard time finding any. My home brew store does not carry it. I had to find it on a wine website. It was giving directions on the website for wine and said to use with Meta-Bisulphite. I'm guessing that is for wine preserving and not needed for cider.

Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #22
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I assume that this is a 2 gal recipe. Anybody mind double checking my math and telling me that this is the accurate form of a 6 gal recipe? That seems like a lot of brown sugar for sweeting.

6 gal cider.
1 ½ lbs honey
9 oz molasses
4 ½ lbs brown sugar.
Potassium sorbate

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

NO..thats wrong...

6 gallons cider
1 1/2 pounds of honey
9 oz molasses
Pot. Sorbate
4 1/2 CUPS of Brown sugar...NOT POUNDS

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #24
cbrychcy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceneater View Post
Yes indeed the potassium sorbate killed the yeast. You could bottle condition if you didn't backsweeten it with the brown sugar and it would still be good just not as sweet. Initially I had not intended to backsweeten this but I let it go longer in the primary than I had intended too(life got busy) and it got a bit dryer than I wanted. If you racked it after 3 to 5 days it would finish sweeter without the brown sugar. Give it a shot and let me know.
Hey guys just to clear up a question I had
I was planning on making twice as much so I was going to double the recipe
I was going to let the cider ferment for about a week in the primary and then siphon into secondary since i plan on bottling instead of kegging will I still need to add the potassium sorbate? This is my third homebrew very excited about the cider my finance wont get off my ass basically i guess I'm looking for a more defined step by step with time frames and instead of kegging what I would need to do for bottling, Sorry for the newb questions thanks for any help you guys rock!!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

just follow the OP directions..10 days in primary...add your K-meta and let sit another 10 days. Then bottle. you don't necessarily need the brown sugar...it is plenty sweet without it. I just did a new batch of this. was at 11 days yesterday, when I racked it off the lee's and added my bisulphite...and my OG was at 1.010..and it was very good. I may just add some cinnamon extract to spice it up just a bit and call it good.

the Salfale so4 is a great yeast for this one....if you want it it drier then backsweeten using sweet mead yeast or other.

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #26
jmorriso
Recipes 

Just started up a 5 gallon batch of this last night. Only change is I threw in a cinnamon stick to the juice we heated on the stove and then dropped it in the fermenter with the honey/juice/molasses mixture. It was fermenting steadily within a couple hours. Here is what we used:

-24 oz honey (We measured out 20oz which would be the correct amount according to recipe, but there was just a little bit left in the container so we just used all of it)
-7.5 oz molasses
-1 cinnamon stick
-5 gallons Always Save brand Apple Juice (3 qt jugs were on sale for $1.50 each)
-1 packet salfale s-04
-5 tsp. potassium-sorbate
-7.5 to 8 cups brown sugar and apple juice mixture for back sweetening

I plan on siphoning onto the p-sorbate in a couple weeks, then back sweetening a week later. Then moving it to the keg a week or so after that. I've only got a single tap keg and its in use, so it'll have some conditioning time before I'm able to fully hook it up and start drinking it.

I've got 2 thoughts:
1. I've got lots of juice left (bought 10 gallons, planning on making this and edworts, but then realized I didn't have enough carboy space!) so I was thinking about back sweetening with a juice and brown sugar mix instead of water. Anyone see a problem there?

2. When I let this condition in the keg should I go ahead and apply co2 and let it carb, or should I leave it still until right before I'm ready to start drinking? Or is there any difference?

3. What psi do you keg it at?

Last edited by jmorriso; 04-19-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
rpg
Recipes 

Default Cider kegging PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorriso View Post
3. What psi do you keg it at?
I kegged a similar batch of cider under 12 PSI at 40 degrees F, and that worked out well for my tastes.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #28
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

can I bottle carbonate this? what is the recommended level of carbonation for cider?

if I carbonate in bottles I assume I should add some yeast before bottling? am I right?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
codeblue2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
can I bottle carbonate this? what is the recommended level of carbonation for cider?

if I carbonate in bottles I assume I should add some yeast before bottling? am I right?
I haven't tried this recipe, but from other replies it looks like you can. You just wouldn't add the brown sugar. I would assume that after letting it sit for another 10 days in the secondary, you would rack it and add follow the same steps for bottling any other beer, bottling sugar. Am I right?

Is there anything we can use to replace the brown sugar, so we can keep the sweetness up?

Planed: Looking for a good Cider recipe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Pumpkin Ale

Keged: No kegging system yet... someday

Old 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This stuff is awesome. Wish I had brewed 4-5 gallons. SWMBO wants more!

Finding juice with no preservatives is always a problem.

Quick Reply