Samuel Smiths Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
Edit: Final gravity typo fg: 1.004

anything but the listed ingredients and method produces a different product, if you follow my recipe and instructions you will end up with a tried and true Samuels Smiths Clone.

5 gals of Apple Juice (no preservatives)
400 grams of dextrose
700 grams of evaporated cane sugar
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
yeast nutrient (dap), & energizer

--Ferment in primary for 5-6 days or until gravity of 1.010 is reached, whichever comes first. Then transfer to secondary.
--Settle in secondary for 1 week or until fg of 1.004 is reached,whichever comes first.
--After secondary bottle with 3/4 cup of dextrose. Let sit 12-16 days (check carb rates) and stove top pasteurize. instructions here>https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

This is absolutely my best recipe. whether your new to cider or seasoned this brew will become a regular for you, i always have five gals on tap over here!
Enjoy! :mug:

I don't have a gram scale can you convert this to cup or tablespoons lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't have a gram scale can you convert this to cup or tablespoons lol

150 grams per cup of dextrose

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome

Evaporated cane sugar ? I've got turbinado

Did u have an og?

I thought pasteurizing was to stop the yeast and prevent bottle bombs? With the fg that low, do you really still have to do that or just lower the amount of sugar added at priming?

honestly I don't pasteurize when i use my pop top bottles which makes up most my bottle collection. Although Whenever i use crow cap bottles i stove top pasteurize to be safe but if you were ok with lower carbonation you could just lower priming sugar and be fine.

Swing tops are a no worry bottle pasteurize or not they can handle it I've had no problems eather way and my friends know if they give my bottle back they get more cider

When do you add the peptic enzyme?

For best results it's done 12 hours before you pitch yeast. So if u use Camden tabs for example you would , add Camden 24 hrs before pitch, 12 hours later add pectic enzyme, and then 12 hours later pitch, I recommend 8a-8p schedule

This is going to be my first venture into hard cider with the plans on kegging. Based on my research, I shouldn't have to add anything between the secondary and the keg as the dextrose is just for bottle carbing, correct?

This is going to be my first venture into hard cider with the plans on kegging. Based on my research, I shouldn't have to add anything between the secondary and the keg as the dextrose is just for bottle carbing, correct?

Correct. Although a pinch of nute won't hurt.

For best results it's done 12 hours before you pitch yeast. So if u use Camden tabs for example you would , add Camden 24 hrs before pitch, 12 hours later add pectic enzyme, and then 12 hours later pitch, i like 8a-8p schedule

What is the pectic enzyme for? I didn't notice it in the ingredient list?

Also - what is nute?

Love Sam Smith's - thanks for the recipe!

Nutes : yeast nutrient.
Pectic enzyme is optional. Its an enzyme the attaches itself to fruit pectin, which is what makes cider cloudy. From what i understand in cider there is pectin because the apples contain it and with beer i think and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's not a pectin but a protein and that's why you add Irish moss in beer, to cuagulate the protein seperating it from the liquid leaving it to settle on the bottom. I personally use apple juice that is clear to begin with when making hard cider so i don't use any clarifying agents.

Nutes : yeast nutrient.
Pectic enzyme is optional. Its an enzyme the attaches itself to fruit pectin, which is what makes cider cloudy. From what i understand in cider there is pectin because the apples contain it and with beer i think and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's not a pectin but a protein and that's why you add Irish moss in beer, to cuagulate the protein seperating it from the liquid leaving it to settle on the bottom. I personally use apple juice that is clear to begin with when making hard cider so i don't use any clarifying agents.

ah! ok - so the pectic enzyme is for when you start with fresh cloudy apple juice? Brilliant. ;)

Do you use freshly crushed apple juice or just store bought, bottled, preservative free?

Thanks!

ah! ok - so the pectic enzyme is for when you start with fresh cloudy apple juice? Brilliant. ;)

Do you use freshly crushed apple juice or just store bought, bottled, preservative free?

Thanks!

Clear Store bought preservative free

Thanks!

I use clear store bought preservative free apple cider from a company called langers

Back