Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Raspberry Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #31
corexcore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made a varient of this with a wine yeast. I suspect it came out pretty good. However, my girlfriend is lactose intolerant, so I used a stevia extract, brand Truvia, to backsweeten. My advice; BE CAREFUL SWEETENING. I used most of a single 1 serving packet in a 1 gallon batch, then bottled it and set it to carb. It carbonated pretty well, but the taste was almost sickly sweet. Then again, I'd already had at least several drinks and couldn't taste too much at that point. The carb was a little bit sluggish, so it doesn't seem like a "too much residual sugar" problem, and tasting it at bottling it seemed alright, like it would be really good with a little more sweet and some carbonation, as well as being cold. The only thing I can think of that could have made it come out poorly is the stevia. Again, BE CAREFUL with backsweetening this, especially if you use stevia extract. A little bit goes a lot further than you might think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
JJ9823
Recipes 

Default how long till active fermentation starts?

I tried this yesterday and was wondering how long it takes for real active fermentation to start. It has been almost 24 hours and still not really bubbling. Is this normal with ciders. I have only done beer and this is my first cider.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #33
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Fermentation was delayed far longer with my cider than any beer I've brewed.... nothing after 24 hours, but starting to pick up by about 40 hours.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #34
JJ9823
Recipes 

It eventually picked up does anyone know if this is normal with capple juice o other types of juice. Or maybe champane yeast. I don't know but it is interesting to me.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #35
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

Would there be anything wrong with dissolving the lactose into the juice before fermentation instead of adding it at bottling?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #36
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

OK so I've got the ingredients for this recipe. For those who made it with the 0.5 lb of lactose, what did you think of the sweetness? If you could go back would you add that much or back off some?

Also, the store didn't have the Blueberry/Pomegranate juice concentrate, so I grabbed two cans of pink lemonade instead. What do you think of this? Should I go pick up some other flavors before I make this? Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #37
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
OK so I've got the ingredients for this recipe. For those who made it with the 0.5 lb of lactose, what did you think of the sweetness? If you could go back would you add that much or back off some?

Also, the store didn't have the Blueberry/Pomegranate juice concentrate, so I grabbed two cans of pink lemonade instead. What do you think of this? Should I go pick up some other flavors before I make this? Thanks!
The wife wishes I added the whole pound of lactose.... not sweet enough for her....

And I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd pass on the lemonade mix myself....

Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #38
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
The wife wishes I added the whole pound of lactose.... not sweet enough for her....

And I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd pass on the lemonade mix myself....
Ahh OK thanks. I'll decide how much lactose I want to toss in then. I guess I'll give another grocery store a try to check for more frozen juice.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #39
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How would this compare to "Lindemans Framboise"....taste wise. I know you are talking about two different animals. Just wondering as my wife loves Framboise. She is not a beer drinker, at most she will drink a Little Kings Cream Ale, Hardcore Apple Cider, Blue Moon, or mostly Framboise. I'm trying to find something I can brew for her that she will like. I'm thinking of doing this or a Raspberry Wheat Beer. So can anyone give me a taste comparison between this and Framboise??

Cheers

Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #40
vtec4me21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
How would this compare to "Lindemans Framboise"....taste wise. I know you are talking about two different animals. Just wondering as my wife loves Framboise. She is not a beer drinker, at most she will drink a Little Kings Cream Ale, Hardcore Apple Cider, Blue Moon, or mostly Framboise. I'm trying to find something I can brew for her that she will like. I'm thinking of doing this or a Raspberry Wheat Beer. So can anyone give me a taste comparison between this and Framboise??

Cheers
I'll let you know in about a month after this batch is done and carbed up. Both my wife and I really like the raspberry Lindemans Framboise. I don't know if it will be close though as this will probably have more apple flavor. Here is a link to check out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lindemans-framboise-103053/

My recipe:
4 gal. Mott's Apple Juice
4 8oz. cans Old Orchard apple / raspberry concentrate
2 lbs. corn sugar
about 1/2 gallon of water top off for a volume of 5 gallons. (measurement was not exact)
1 packet 5 gram Red Star Premier Cuvée
1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
Ferment at room temp - 65*F

After kegging and carbed I have the following which I'll add to the keg depending on taste:
1lb. lactose
1 4oz. raspberry flavoring

OG - 1.065
FG - 1.000
Start - 01/28/2011

Update: 02/19/2011
Took a sample today from primary and it has fermented out nicely. A bit cloudy but nothing a cold crash won't fix. Taste is slightly tart but has a good balance of sweet from the mix of apple and raspberry. A bit of a dry taste after fermenting down so low but should be good after kegging and backsweeting. The wife and I agree that it probably won't need the full amount of raspberry flavoring or lactose, but we will see. Another update in a few weeks.

Last edited by vtec4me21; 02-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply